Want similar or metaphor for "Speed up, slow down"
Add Reply
Pamela
2021-02-01 17:05:48 UTC
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.

I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.

Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.

Any ideas?

Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-02-01 17:22:02 UTC
Post by Pamela
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars
Not so old! My grandson of 5 has one.

However, I'm sorry I can't help with real problem.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
Stefan Ram
2021-02-01 17:22:41 UTC
Post by Pamela
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
In German, the word "Anfangsverschlechterung" (initial deterioration /
aggravation) is used in such cases, but also to gloss over ineffective
therapies, kinda like:

"Kyle seems to be getting worse." -
"No no, that's good! Those are the toxins flushing out of the system!"
(South Park)

. Example (translated from German):

|During the initial aggravation, all the still "dormant"
|pimples are made to erupt and all the impurities are
|expelled.... So be patient a little longer... I think you
|will soon see the first results

Based on the quotation, it's hard to tell if this is snake oil or
a helpful drug!
Pamela
2021-02-01 23:23:00 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by Pamela
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
In German, the word "Anfangsverschlechterung" (initial
deterioration / aggravation) is used in such cases,
That's good but anyone would think I'm an insufferable pedant if I
learnt that word and came out with it!
or a helpful drug!
Bebercito
2021-02-01 17:25:19 UTC
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
Maybe something along the lines of "taking the rough to have the
smooth".
Peter T. Daniels
2021-02-01 19:17:46 UTC
Post by Bebercito
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
Maybe something along the lines of "taking the rough to have the
smooth".
? That's not an English expresson.

"Take the rough along with the smooth" is something else.

"initial hiccup"?
Bebercito
2021-02-01 19:33:12 UTC
Post by Bebercito
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
Maybe something along the lines of "taking the rough to have the
smooth".
? That's not an English expresson.
I know, the exact phrase is "Take the rough with the smooth", but
it can easily be "adapted" it to match the case at hand. Note
that I said "along the lines of".
Makes it difficult to swallow the medicine.
Pamela
2021-02-01 23:27:44 UTC
Post by Bebercito
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
Maybe something along the lines of "taking the rough to have the
smooth".
I would need to shorten it to become "rough and smooth".

It's got potential although "smooth" doesn't really suggest beneficial
and improving.

"Rough and relief" is a small step in the right direction but lacks
punch.
Lanarcam
Sink and rise?
Peter Moylan
2021-02-02 01:35:51 UTC
Post by Bebercito
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
Maybe something along the lines of "taking the rough to have the
smooth".
For some reason that brings to mind exercise trainers. Also my mother
saying "If it tastes bad, it's good for you".[1]

And that triggers the thought of "second wind". Not really an answer to
the original question, but maybe it will send someone thinking in a new
direction.

[1] Many years later, it now occurs to me that that might not be
precisely what she said. But that was the message I heard.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Tony Cooper
2021-02-01 18:21:29 UTC
Post by Pamela
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
The medicine resulted in a sudden shift from a bad initial reaction to
a positive and beneficial effect.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Pamela
2021-02-01 23:17:21 UTC
Post by Pamela
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express
the idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
The medicine resulted in a sudden shift from a bad initial
reaction to a positive and beneficial effect.
That's true although I would like something catchier than that so I can
refer to it in later conversation using a punchy phrase.

Kind of like "slam and rebound" but I don't think that's particularly
good.
Mack A. Damia
Impeded/delayed acceleration.
Tony Cooper
2021-02-02 02:13:18 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Pamela
[...]
Just stick in some adjectives.

The medicine resulted in a sudden, tremor-inducing shift from a bad
initial reaction to a positive and blissfully beneficial effect.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
bozo de niro
Oh you want the word for "how to nicely accelerate and spin wildly out of control" — that's called Political Science for Dummies from a publisher popular a few decades ago. You could also hire a quant for a curve and an algorithm to search for a corresponding word, but then that's like watching Risky Business for how to get into college when all you really want is a date with Rebecca De Mornay.
Jerry Friedman
2021-02-01 20:14:34 UTC
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Those are apparently "friction-powered cars". They contain
"friction motors".

Note that you push them forward to spin them up, so there's no
reverse motion, if that's what you're looking for.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
There's the idea that a medicine that tastes bad is good for you.

"No pain, no gain."

"Reculer pour mieux avancer" (or "sauter").

Pulling a slingshot/catapult back?

And does this really happen, or is it what the manufacturers want
you to think?
Vroom vroom!
Bebercito
2021-02-01 20:36:00 UTC
[...]
Then maybe also "A necessary evil", "A blessing in disguise", "What
doesn't kill us makes us stronger"?
Post by Jerry Friedman
"Reculer pour mieux avancer" (or "sauter").
Vroom vroom!
Peter Moylan
2021-02-02 01:38:52 UTC
Post by Bebercito
Post by Jerry Friedman
"Reculer pour mieux avancer" (or "sauter").
"Un mal pour un bien", but that hasn't made it into English.
No, but "Taking the bad with the good" is English, and is somewhat related.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Pamela
2021-02-01 23:19:13 UTC
[...]
It's what I experience and what has confused a diagnosis of my
condition. I would like to refer to the effect in a punchy way that
gets the concept over in a memorable way and one that I can reuse.
Sam Plusnet
2021-02-01 21:50:49 UTC
Post by Pamela
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
In my view, a "see saw" implies a repeated series of ups and downs.
It's far from perfect, but a roller coaster ride might be used to imply
an initial plunge followed by a steady rise.
Wales, UK
Paul Wolff
2021-02-01 22:34:30 UTC
Post by Pamela
Can you help? I'm trying to write s report and want to express the
idea of taking a medicine or supplement and initially getting
serious adverse effects but hours later feeling better from its
beneficial effects.
I thought of "see saw" but that doesn't suggest adverse effects.
Also it gives exactly equal time to positive and negative effects,
which is not usually the case.
Then ... I had in mind one of those old toy cars which you strike
along the ground to spin some flywheel inside and then letting the
car power away merrily. However I can't find a phrase for this.
Any ideas?
Metaphors, similes, catchy phrases, whatever.
In my view, a "see saw" implies a repeated series of ups and downs.
It's far from perfect, but a roller coaster ride might be used to imply
an initial plunge followed by a steady rise.
I was thinking of a ski-jump image: an initial plunge followed by
soaring flight.

Or Pamela might find it easier to improvise on "no pain, no gain". And
"reculer pour mieux sauter" doesn't become Engli8sh just by missing out
the accent.
Paul
Jerry Friedman
2021-02-01 23:06:36 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
The problem with an image like that, if taken literally, is that you can't
rise any higher than where you started, which I don't think is what
Pamela wants.
Post by Paul Wolff
Or Pamela might find it easier to improvise on "no pain, no gain". And
"reculer pour mieux sauter" doesn't become Engli8sh just by missing out
the accent.
I don't think it's missing an accent.
Paul Wolff
2021-02-01 23:31:18 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
Or Pamela might find it easier to improvise on "no pain, no gain". And
"reculer pour mieux sauter" doesn't become Engli8sh just by missing out
the accent.
I don't think it's missing an accent.
I wondered, afterwards - not a circumflex on the 'u' of reculer? If not
that, then it's missing my terrible French accent.

(And now I think I missed you suggesting the same phrase. I only read a
small fraction of the posts here.)
Paul
Snidely
2021-02-02 00:29:19 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
Or Pamela might find it easier to improvise on "no pain, no gain". And
"reculer pour mieux sauter" doesn't become Engli8sh just by missing out
the accent.
I don't think it's missing an accent.
You haven't heard my French.

You could try being nicer and politer
Post by Jerry Friedman
instead, and see how that works out.
-- Katy Jennison
Quinn C
2021-02-02 00:38:25 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Paul Wolff
Or Pamela might find it easier to improvise on "no pain, no gain". And
"reculer pour mieux sauter" doesn't become Engli8sh just by missing out
the accent.
I don't think it's missing an accent.
You haven't heard my French.
I guess he's not missed anything.
--
Be afraid of the lame - They'll inherit your legs
Be afraid of the old - They'll inherit your souls
-- Regina Spektor, Après moi
Ken Blake
2021-02-01 23:16:57 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Pamela
[...]
I thought a ski jump was an initial plunge followed by a crash with
multiple broken bones.
Pamela
2021-02-01 23:20:00 UTC
Post by Pamela
[...]
Roller coaster is close to the experience but it too suggests repeated
cycles rather than a single one.
Quinn C
2021-02-02 00:31:58 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Pamela
[...]
"Getting over the (initial) hump" is not uncommon as a description, but
it describes an initial slow-down rather than a speed-up. Also, it seems
that it may suggest "high" in the context of drugs.
--
9/11 was pretty much the 9/11 of the falafel business.
-- Abed Nadir on Community