Gunga Din
Harrison Hill
2018-07-20 17:32:07 UTC
Since people here have brought up Rudyard Kipling...

"Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Rikki-tikki-tavie's greatest moments please. The little
mongoose who is the only creature (including us), who can
confidently take on Kaa and other big snakes.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-21 07:23:59 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Since people here have brought up Rudyard Kipling...
"Though I’ve belted you and flayed you, By the livin’ Gawd that
made you,
You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"
Rikki-tikki-tavie's greatest moments please.
Oh, goody goody. A quiz.
athel
Arindam Banerjee
2018-07-21 11:30:10 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Since people here have brought up Rudyard Kipling...
"Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"
Rikki-tikki-tavie's greatest moments please. The little
mongoose who is the only creature (including us), who can
confidently take on Kaa and other big snakes.
I read Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book" with the greatest pleasure. His insight into the true Indian character is most genuine and positive. Sadly, just as the British character has changed into some American, the Indian character has changed, similarly. As part of this change, jungles have been cut down to make more money. So that India Kipling wrote about is lost. Still, we do have his wonderful writing left, and so, even if he is abused today, it shows how relevant he was in his time.

As for Gunga Din, I am interested in him. He was a high caste Hindu loyally serving the British. Was he a traitor, or a person who knew that by serving a people with superior organisation and technology as well as possible, benefits would come to his own people in due course? I would like to believe the former, but I think that would go against the grain of most Indians.

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee
Jerry Friedman
2018-07-21 12:34:46 UTC
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
How do you know he was high-caste?
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Was he a traitor, or a person who knew that by serving a people with superior organisation and technology as well as possible, benefits would come to his own people in due course? I would like to believe the former, but I think that would go against the grain of most Indians.
I thought the former view was more popular in India, but I could very
easily be wrong.
Jerry Friedman
Arindam Banerjee
2018-07-21 12:51:45 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Harrison Hill
[...]
He had to be in order to serve the British.
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Was he a traitor, or a person who knew that by serving a people with superior organisation and technology as well as possible, benefits would come to his own people in due course? I would like to believe the former, but I think that would go against the grain of most Indians.
I thought the former view was more popular in India, but I could very
easily be wrong.
It is the other way around. In the times of the Raj the high castes were favoured, for their superior work culture, and Gunga Din was their representative.

It seems very "white" of Kipling to say that Gunga Din was the better man. But then, Kipling was a poet, what was is poetry without that peculiar kernel of truth? The British were no doubt superior, but Gunga Din was the real hero. His servitude would pave the way for better days to come for his unfortunate brethren. When one is inferior, one has to work for those who are superior, and thus learn their better ways.

In these days of democracy, the lower castes rule India with their large numbers. They blame the higher castes for all the ills of India, so as a servant of the whites, Gunga Din is considered by them to be a traitor.

Descendants of the higher castes that supported the Raj are happy to emigrate.

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
Jerry Friedman
Janet
2018-07-21 17:10:52 UTC
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Arindam Banerjee
As for Gunga Din, I am interested in him. He was a high caste Hindu loyally serving the British.
How do you know he was high-caste?
He had to be in order to serve the British.
The British in India employed many lower castes to do the most menial
tasks.

Gunga Din was one of them, a water carrier (Bhishti). As the poem
says, his job was carrying drinking water to troops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhishti

"The Bhishti (Hindustani: are a Muslim tribe or biradari found in
North India, Pakistan and the Terai region of Nepal. They are also known
as (Shaikh Abbasi) Dhund Abbasi and Saqqa, and use Sheikh Abbasi, or
Dhund-Abbasi, as a surname. In Maharashtra, the tribe is often referred
to as Pakhali The Sheikh Abbasi belong to Arab Tribe (Banu Abbas). The
title character of Rudyard Kipling's poem "Gunga Din" is a Bhisti."

"Like other Muslim artisan castes, the Bhishti have set up an India-
wide caste association, the All-India Jamiat ul Abbas, which acts both
as a welfare association, as well as organization involved with lobbying
on behalf of the Bhishti in India. The community has been granted Other
Backward Class status"

Janet.
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
Jerry Friedman
Arindam Banerjee
2018-07-21 18:47:08 UTC
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Arindam Banerjee
As for Gunga Din, I am interested in him. He was a high caste Hindu loyally serving the British.
How do you know he was high-caste?
He had to be in order to serve the British.
The British in India employed many lower castes to do the most menial
tasks.
Gunga Din was one of them, a water carrier (Bhishti). As the poem
says, his job was carrying drinking water to troops.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhishti
"The Bhishti (Hindustani: are a Muslim tribe or biradari found in
North India, Pakistan and the Terai region of Nepal. They are also known
as (Shaikh Abbasi) Dhund Abbasi and Saqqa, and use Sheikh Abbasi, or
Dhund-Abbasi, as a surname. In Maharashtra, the tribe is often referred
to as Pakhali The Sheikh Abbasi belong to Arab Tribe (Banu Abbas). The
title character of Rudyard Kipling's poem "Gunga Din" is a Bhisti."
Gunga Din is about the last name any self-respecting Muslim would take in the 19th century.

Gunga is the Goddess Ganga, the mother of Bhishma of the Mahabharata, brought down to Earth as a result of much prayer from the suffering Indian population, afflicted by the heat.

No Muslim has the name Ganga. It is pagan and idolatrous, and thus would be sacrilegious, especially in those times.

Din means day in Hindi, but Deen means poor and probably that is what Kipling had in mind. Just that Din sounds better on the drums than Deen. Deen is often used in Hindu naming, one of the most famous being Deen Dayal Upadhyay. Deen Dayal means being kind to the poor.

Gunga Din was a Hindu, 100%. After 1857 the Muslims in the British Army declined in numbers, for obvious reasons. Hindus got their chance, to succeed, as the Muslims had been responsible for the massacres of innocent men and women in Kanpur. Many Muslims were dispossessed. It took decades for them to make a comeback, till Sir Syed Ahmed Khan went to London and convinced the English that they were "brothers of the Book".

Ganga Din was most likely a Brahmin, for Brahmins were very poor so, Ganga Deen meaning Ganga the Poor was quite all right as a name for the poor Brahmin.

Gunga Din was a bhishti or water-carrier in function, but in practice no professional bhishti goes to the field of battle. He was a lowly functionary doing the job of a bhishti. An orderly, one of most low paid employees. Their jobs were to fetch and carry in general, but in GD's case his job was to supply water to the troops.

Not all the troops were British, and the non-British soldiers were high caste Hindus, of the martial type. They would not accept water from a low caste or a Muslim, but they would accept water from a Brahmin.

Kipling shows a very high regard for Brahmins, as evidenced in his story "The Miracle of Puran Bhagat". And why not, for the Brahmins supported the British Raj in the most ardent way, along with other high castes.

Cheers,
Arindam Banerjee
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
Jerry Friedman
Madhu
2018-07-23 02:57:12 UTC
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Ganga Din was most likely a Brahmin, for Brahmins were very poor so,
Ganga Deen meaning Ganga the Poor was quite all right as a name for
the poor Brahmin.
This is unlikely. Even if he had been a low-(sub)caste brahmin. The
British implemented their class system on the top of the existing caste
system - so any and all brahmins they employed would have been at
renumerative positions. Besides no brahmin would have behaved as Gunga
Din did at the end.

(What a disturbing poem!)
Arindam Banerjee
2018-07-23 04:19:28 UTC
The British employed Brahmins the most as the Brahmins picked up English the most quickly. They were well in numbers in the Company forces. Mangal Pandey was a Brahmin thus. The Mutiny happened because of Muslim and caste Hindus refusing to bite off the pork and beef grease packaging off the cartridges for the new rifles. Low castes had no place in Indian public life till 1947. To pretend otherwise is to continue with the distortion of history.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-23 11:42:33 UTC
Post by Arindam Banerjee
The British employed Brahmins the most as the Brahmins picked up English the most quickly.
Good grief. The chap knows as much about language ability as he does
about physics.
Post by Arindam Banerjee
They were well in numbers in the Company forces. Mangal Pandey was a Brahmin thus. The Mutiny happened because of Muslim and caste Hindus refusing to bite off the
alleged
Never saw a claim of "beef grease" before.
Arindam Banerjee
2018-07-23 14:56:28 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
The British employed Brahmins the most as the Brahmins picked up English the most quickly.
Good grief. The chap knows as much about language ability as he does
about physics.
This arsehole Daniels knows only how to lie shamelessly.

Prajapatirhishirnyushtupachhanday, this arsehole is useful for those who support him are automatically identified as arseholes, totally to be avoided by those pursuing truth and beauty.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
They were well in numbers in the Company forces. Mangal Pandey was a Brahmin thus. The Mutiny happened because of Muslim and caste Hindus refusing to bite off the
alleged
Moron Daniels knows only how to lie and pervert matters. That the mutiny was sparked by the enforcement of the toothful method of biting off the cartridge packaging, is one fact acknowledged by all the concerned parties.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-23 16:16:36 UTC
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
The British employed Brahmins the most as the Brahmins picked up English the most quickly.
Good grief. The chap knows as much about language ability as he does
about physics.
This arsehole Daniels knows only how to lie shamelessly.
Prajapatirhishirnyushtupachhanday, this arsehole is useful for those who support him are automatically identified as arseholes, totally to be avoided by those pursuing truth and beauty.
Long on invective, short on either argument or verifiable fact.

As for this particular claim, it is simply not the case that belonging
to any particular "caste" or social class or level of wealth is relevant
to an individual's ability to learn a new language (or to acquire a
language as a child).
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
They were well in numbers in the Company forces. Mangal Pandey was a Brahmin thus. The Mutiny happened because of Muslim and caste Hindus refusing to bite off the
alleged
Moron Daniels knows only how to lie and pervert matters. That the mutiny was sparked by the enforcement of the toothful method of biting off the cartridge packaging, is one fact acknowledged by all the concerned parties.
Yes, we know what the rumor was.

What we do not know is whether it is true that pig grease (as I said, I
never heard a rumor of cow grease) was used in that way; and if it was,
whether it was a deliberate attempt to -- to what? cause the troops to
perform impious acts? what sense would that make? -- or whether it was
simply ignorance / bureaucratic incompetence.
Arindam Banerjee
2018-07-23 16:56:26 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
The British employed Brahmins the most as the Brahmins picked up English the most quickly.
Good grief. The chap knows as much about language ability as he does
about physics.
This arsehole Daniels knows only how to lie shamelessly.
Prajapatirhishirnyushtupachhanday, this arsehole is useful for those who support him are automatically identified as arseholes, totally to be avoided by those pursuing truth and beauty.
Long on invective, short on either argument or verifiable fact.
You get what you deserve, you lying creep. You are the most despicable of all the creeps I have found in Usenet, over the last 25 years. Your entire existence is about promoting lies.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
As for this particular claim, it is simply not the case that belonging
to any particular "caste" or social class or level of wealth is relevant
to an individual's ability to learn a new language (or to acquire a
language as a child).
This is typical Daniels, with his kind of mendacity. Putting up a general platitude to cover his distortion of reality. The plain historical fact is that the Brahmins were hired by the East India Company and then the Raj, for the Brahmins were natural scholars and could pick up Sanskrit the quickest, so they were the most useful to the British as clerks.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Arindam Banerjee
They were well in numbers in the Company forces. Mangal Pandey was a Brahmin thus. The Mutiny happened because of Muslim and caste Hindus refusing to bite off the
alleged
Moron Daniels knows only how to lie and pervert matters. That the mutiny was sparked by the enforcement of the toothful method of biting off the cartridge packaging, is one fact acknowledged by all the concerned parties.
Yes, we know what the rumor was.
Now you know that, ignorant fool, after your nose has been rubbed into that grease.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
What we do not know is whether it is true that pig grease (as I said, I
never heard a rumor of cow grease) was used in that way; and if it was,
whether it was a deliberate attempt to -- to what? cause the troops to
perform impious acts? what sense would that make? -- or whether it was
simply ignorance / bureaucratic incompetence.
The sepoys mutinied as a result, as they were high caste Hindus and Muslims. That is the main point. Whether or not the grease contained cow and pig fat is a matter of controversy - Indian scholars hold that definitely there was some grease to make it waterproof and it was of animal origin. The white soldiers had no problem with that grease, and in fact the new rifles with their longer range helped them win the war.

What is not controversial is that the sepoys considered it an attack on their religion, as part of the strenuous missionary efforts to destroy their faiths.

It is perfectly possible - though this cannot be proved - that the missionary elements wanted the sepoys to be outcasted as a result of their contamination, and then they would have to convert to Christianity. This sort of trick would be in line with the tactics of the Christian bishops etc. to convert the pagans in the Baltic regions.

With the military of the pagans Christianised, the Christianising of the whole subcontinent would have become an easy task.

But instead the sepoys rebelled, so today India is no Europe of the 14th century. After quelling the rebellion, the Queen Victoria made a wonderful gesture to the Indians, in Her gracious proclamation which is the Magna Carta for the Indians.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
There is no end to your ignorance and effrontery.
Harrison Hill

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Indian_Rebellion_of_1857>
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-23 16:21:46 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Arindam Banerjee
pork and beef grease packaging off the cartridges for the new rifles. Low castes had no place in Indian public life till 1947. To pretend otherwise is to continue with the distortion of history.
Never saw a claim of "beef grease" before.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Indian_Rebellion_of_1857>
Thank you. "beef tallow" made for a more useful rumor among Hindus than
"lard," which was the rumor for the Muslims.

There is, however, no reason to suppose they had ever stopped using
"beeswax and mutton fat," objectionable to no one except Jains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Indian_Rebellion_of_1857#The_Enfield_Rifle

AB is nothing if not gullible.
Kerr-Mudd,John
2018-07-23 20:10:50 UTC
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 15:02:31 GMT, Harrison Hill
[Bullet Biting]
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Never saw a claim of "beef grease" before.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Indian_Rebellion_of_1857>
PTD fails to do basic search shock!
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-24 02:40:13 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Never saw a claim of "beef grease" before.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Indian_Rebellion_of_1857>
PTD fails to do basic search shock!
The coward Kerr-Nudd remains ignorant. He should read what I actually
wrote about the probably untrue claim. (Or does he actually believe
the false rumors?)

Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-21 13:57:33 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Was he a traitor, or a person who knew that by serving a people with
superior organisation and technology as well as possible, benefits
would come to his own people in due course? I would like to believe the
former, but I think that would go against the grain of most Indians.
I thought the former view was more popular in India, but I could very
easily be wrong.
When I was in India I asked how one could tell what caste someone was
in. I was told that it was sufficient to know the family name. In the
case of Gunga Din, however, I suspect that it was a name that Kipling
made up.
Post by Jerry Friedman
"Every Bolsh is a blackguard,"
Said Kipling to Haggard,
"And given to tippling,"
Said Haggard to Kipling.
"And a blooming outsider,"
Said Rudyard to Rider.
"Their domain is a blood-yard,"
Said Rider to Rudyard.
"That's just what I say,"
Said the author of "They."
"I agree, I agree,"
Said the author of "She."
Not as well known as the famous
Post by Jerry Friedman
When the Rudyards cease from Kipling
And the Haggard Ride no more.
athel
Mike L
2018-07-21 17:02:59 UTC
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Jerry Friedman
Post by Jerry Friedman
When the Rudyards cease from Kipling
And the Haggard Ride no more.
Said Ravel to De Falla,
Hiya?
Said Falla to Ravel,
You well?
Neither cared to confess
He just couldn't care less.
Nicolas Bentley, perhaps?
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-21 17:16:37 UTC
Post by Mike L
Post by Jerry Friedman
When the Rudyards cease from Kipling
And the Haggard Ride no more.
Said Ravel to De Falla,
Hiya?
Said Falla to Ravel,
You well?
Neither cared to confess
He just couldn't care less.
Nicolas Bentley, perhaps?
Google Groups (and how can we doubt them?) attributes it to you (13th
January 2010), or maybe the 1st January 2011, as January is the 13th
month of the previous year.

Anyway, it's a nice little rhyme.
athel
RHDraney
2018-07-21 20:55:38 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
When the Rudyards cease from Kipling
And the Haggard Ride no more.
Very nice...can you now explain "The Babbitt and the Bromide"?...

....r
Jerry Friedman
2018-07-22 00:51:15 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
When the Rudyards cease from Kipling
And the Haggard Ride no more.
Very nice...can you now explain "The Babbitt and the Bromide"?...
  http://youtu.be/K_Zb1mnxXzM
"Olive oil" might be a jocular alteration of a jocular mispronunciation
of "au revoir".
Jerry Friedman
l***@gmail.com
2018-07-22 22:58:27 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
"Every Bolsh is a blackguard,"
Said Kipling to Haggard,
"And given to tippling,"
Said Haggard to Kipling.
"And a blooming outsider,"
Said Rudyard to Rider.
"Their domain is a blood-yard,"
Said Rider to Rudyard.
As a child I used to deliver newspapers on Rudyard Road,
Kipling Road, Rider Road and Haggard Road, as well as
Treswell Crescent. That was before I discovered that I
was related to Rudyard Kipling.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2018-07-23 10:37:34 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry Friedman
"Every Bolsh is a blackguard,"
Said Kipling to Haggard,
"And given to tippling,"
Said Haggard to Kipling.
"And a blooming outsider,"
Said Rudyard to Rider.
"Their domain is a blood-yard,"
Said Rider to Rudyard.
As a child I used to deliver newspapers on Rudyard Road,
Kipling Road, Rider Road and Haggard Road, as well as
Treswell Crescent. That was before I discovered that I
was related to Rudyard Kipling.
<amazing>
--
Peter Duncanson, UK