Collective noun for gibbons
t***@gmail.com
2005-09-24 07:07:19 UTC
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?

Thanks in advance!

Kitt.
Jim Lawton
2005-09-24 07:56:58 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?
Thanks in advance!
I found no hits on Google for <whoop of gibbons> but it seems to be an option
for gorillas, see this http://tinyurl.com/8llqa
--
Jim
the polymoth
Adam Grinter
2005-09-24 09:05:41 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?
The term derives from a sketch on Not The Nine O'Clock News in the early
80s, and has now passed into semi-common usage, and is probably as good as
any other term.

Professor: Well, in the early days, Gerald made attempts to contact his
"flange" of gorillas...

Gerald: It's a "whoop", Professor, a "whoop" of gorillas. It's a "flange"
of baboons, for God's sake!
t***@gmail.com
2005-09-26 13:11:49 UTC
That's what I was looking for! You've put me out of my misery now :)

Kitt.

Prai Jei
2005-09-24 11:16:32 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?
Thanks in advance!
Kitt.
Hang on - are we referring to apes or spring onions? Please indicate the
pronunciation of the initial G - it's hard or soft respectively. It's a
bunch of the latter surely.
--
There are very few spiders found on bananas that bite.

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Jess Askin
I believe it's "a scribble of gibbons."
Peter Romero
2005-09-25 03:48:25 UTC
Post by Jess Askin
Post by t***@gmail.com
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?
I believe it's "a scribble of gibbons."
A scribble of gibbons?? You're kidding.

What if it's a blizzard of gibbons?
Peter Romero
2005-09-25 03:58:08 UTC
Post by Peter Romero
Post by Jess Askin
Post by t***@gmail.com
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?
I believe it's "a scribble of gibbons."
A scribble of gibbons?? You're kidding.
What if it's a blizzard of gibbons?
Dagnab it. I thought of a much funnier one (to me) after I posted this one.
A "flibber of gibbons".
Carmen L. Abruzzi
2005-09-25 06:25:56 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?
Thanks in advance!
Gibbons are not social. They form couples, and temporary single-child
nuclear families, no larger groups.
Peter Duncanson
2005-09-25 16:34:56 UTC
On 24 Sep 2005 23:25:56 -0700, "Carmen L. Abruzzi"
Post by Carmen L. Abruzzi
Post by t***@gmail.com
I'm sure I remember reading / hearing somewhere that the collective
noun for gibbons was a 'whoop'. Can anyone confirm / dispell this?
Thanks in advance!
Gibbons are not social. They form couples, and temporary single-child
nuclear families, no larger groups.
So if they do find themselves in a group they might become nervously
noisy - a gibber of gibbons.
--
Peter Duncanson
UK (posting from a.u.e)