Scalloped
David Kleinecke
2016-03-03 21:22:50 UTC
One of the lower brow things I can buy in local supermarkets are
quick versions of "scalloped potatoes" and "gratin potatoes".

For those who have never seen them it goes like this: Get an 8x8
or similar oven pan and turn the oven up to around 400. Mix two
cups of boiling water with some butter and milk. Then open the
box the potatoes are in and mix in the "sauce" powder. Then open
the big bag and mix in all the chips. Then stick the pan in the
oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Then eat the contents of the pan.

Not high cuisine - but a relatively tasty cheap quick meal.

Are these products known outside the US?

Why are the potatoes called scalloped?

What is the difference between the products? I can taste a
difference but they are pretty much alike.
Richard Tobin
2016-03-03 21:40:00 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
One of the lower brow things I can buy in local supermarkets are
quick versions of "scalloped potatoes" and "gratin potatoes".
For those who have never seen them it goes like this: Get an 8x8
or similar oven pan and turn the oven up to around 400. Mix two
cups of boiling water with some butter and milk. Then open the
box the potatoes are in and mix in the "sauce" powder. Then open
the big bag and mix in all the chips. Then stick the pan in the
oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Then eat the contents of the pan.
Not high cuisine - but a relatively tasty cheap quick meal.
Are these products known outside the US?
Potato gratin (or gratin dauphinois for a fancy version) is
commonly sold ready-made in the UK.

-- Richard
Stan Brown
2016-03-04 00:15:23 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by David Kleinecke
One of the lower brow things I can buy in local supermarkets are
quick versions of "scalloped potatoes" and "gratin potatoes".
For those who have never seen them it goes like this: Get an 8x8
or similar oven pan and turn the oven up to around 400. Mix two
cups of boiling water with some butter and milk. Then open the
box the potatoes are in and mix in the "sauce" powder. Then open
the big bag and mix in all the chips. Then stick the pan in the
oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Then eat the contents of the pan.
Not high cuisine - but a relatively tasty cheap quick meal.
Are these products known outside the US?
Potato gratin (or gratin dauphinois for a fancy version) is
commonly sold ready-made in the UK.
-- Richard
WIWAL, we had boxed dehydrated "scalloped potatoes" and "potatoes au
gratin" fairly often. The difference was that the scalloped potatoes
had no cheese, and the au gratin potatoes had an orange powdered
substance that was supposed to make us think of cheese. I grew up
thinking that "au gratin" meant "with cheese", and it was only from
Julia Child that I learned it meant "with a bread-crumb topping".

Then there's potatoes Anna. A couple of decades ago, a friend and I
threw a dinner party of beef tenderloin, potatoes Anna, and asparagus
with hollandaise. We made the latter two dishes from scratch, of
course. Layering all those potato slices in their melted-butter bath
was tedious, but worth the effort. It's the only time in my life I've
ever eaten that dish.
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"The difference between the /almost right/ word and the
/right/ word is ... the difference between the lightning-bug
and the lightning." --Mark Twain
Peter T. Daniels
2016-03-04 04:07:12 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
I grew up
thinking that "au gratin" meant "with cheese",
That is what it means.
That's what it means in French, a different language.
Richard Tobin
2016-03-04 08:58:15 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
I grew up
thinking that "au gratin" meant "with cheese", and it was only from
Julia Child that I learned it meant "with a bread-crumb topping".
It refers to the crust on the top of the dish, which can be achieved
by cheese or breadcrumbs or neither - a gratin dauphinois never has
breadcrumbs.

-- Richard
charles
2016-03-04 09:47:55 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Stan Brown
I grew up
thinking that "au gratin" meant "with cheese", and it was only from
Julia Child that I learned it meant "with a bread-crumb topping".
It refers to the crust on the top of the dish, which can be achieved
by cheese or breadcrumbs or neither - a gratin dauphinois never has
breadcrumbs.
Au gratin simply means "with something grated".
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Richard Tobin
2016-03-04 10:05:38 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Stan Brown
I grew up
thinking that "au gratin" meant "with cheese", and it was only from
Julia Child that I learned it meant "with a bread-crumb topping".
It refers to the crust on the top of the dish, which can be achieved
by cheese or breadcrumbs or neither - a gratin dauphinois never has
breadcrumbs.
Au gratin simply means "with something grated".
Etymological fallacy. A salad with grated carrot is not au gratin.

-- Richard
RH Draney
Or both...in the form of Goldfish crackers....r
Stan Brown
2016-03-05 01:44:29 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Stan Brown
I grew up
thinking that "au gratin" meant "with cheese", and it was only from
Julia Child that I learned it meant "with a bread-crumb topping".
It refers to the crust on the top of the dish, which can be achieved
by cheese or breadcrumbs or neither -
Or both...in the form of Goldfish crackers....r
Crushed goldfish crackers work very well in thinks where protein is
mixed with crumbs, like meatloafs and fishcakes.
grabber
2016-03-03 21:41:13 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
One of the lower brow things I can buy in local supermarkets are
quick versions of "scalloped potatoes" and "gratin potatoes".
For those who have never seen them it goes like this: Get an 8x8
or similar oven pan and turn the oven up to around 400. Mix two
cups of boiling water with some butter and milk. Then open the
box the potatoes are in and mix in the "sauce" powder. Then open
the big bag and mix in all the chips. Then stick the pan in the
oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Then eat the contents of the pan.
Not high cuisine - but a relatively tasty cheap quick meal.
Are these products known outside the US?
Why are the potatoes called scalloped?
Yes, in BrE I've come across both.

It goes back to the bivalve molluscs. I always thought it was because
the slices of potato were thought to resemble the shells, or because
their outlines were scalloped curves. A quick look in the dictionary
suggests that maybe an intermediate transfer is the meaning of scallop
as a shallow cooking dish.
h***@gmail.com
2016-03-03 22:36:14 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
One of the lower brow things I can buy in local supermarkets are
lower brow ?
Post by David Kleinecke
quick versions of "scalloped potatoes" and "gratin potatoes".
For those who have never seen them it goes like this: Get an 8x8
or similar oven pan and turn the oven up to around 400. Mix two
cups of boiling water with some butter and milk. Then open the
box the potatoes are in and mix in the "sauce" powder. Then open
the big bag and mix in all the chips. Then stick the pan in the
oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Then eat the contents of the pan.
Not high cuisine - but a relatively tasty cheap quick meal.
Are these products known outside the US?
Why are the potatoes called scalloped?
I always thought it referred to the way they're cut.

Ok, that's correct about notepads, etc.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=scallopped++notepads

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scalloped

Etymology

scallop + -ed. In culinary sense, originally referred to a seafood dish baked and served in a scallop shell, but now used more generally.
Peter T. Daniels
2016-03-03 22:54:27 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by David Kleinecke
One of the lower brow things I can buy in local supermarkets are
lower brow ?
Humorous reanalysis of "more lowbrow."

Michael Feldman would say to contestants who'd gotten only two of their first
four quiz questions right "You can't get any wronger" (same principle). He
always worded the last question in such a way that they couldn't possibly lose.

That's on the NPR quiz show *Whadya Know?*
Lewis
2016-03-03 23:14:56 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by David Kleinecke
One of the lower brow things I can buy in local supermarkets are
lower brow ?
Well, there are low brow items and items that are lower brow?
--
It's like looking for the farmer's daughter in a haystack, and finding
the needle.
Peter Moylan
2016-03-04 04:47:04 UTC
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.

We have a tool in the kitchen that can cut potatoes into ripply slices,
but that's not the same as scalloping the edges.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Garrett Wollman
2016-03-04 16:30:16 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall -- which doesn't sound much
different from your "potato cake".

I believe the "scalloped potatoes" of the original poster's question
come from the design/architectural sense of "scallop", which is a
repeating pattern of half-circles, often overlapping in one
direction. An image search for "scallop pattern" makes it plain, and
you can easily imagine forming that pattern from thin crosswise slices
of potato.

-GAWollman
--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
***@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program
my employers. | accepted by all practitioners? - S.J. Gould, 1993
Janet
2016-03-04 19:04:32 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall
What have you done with the gorgeous bright orange coral/roe?

Janet.
Jerry Friedman
2016-03-04 19:59:51 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall
What have you done with the gorgeous bright orange coral/roe?
Threw it back to turn into more scallops?

All the scallops I've ever eaten have been like the ones Garrett
described, except that some have been taller than wide. I assume
that they've been cut into that shape and that the rest went into
"seafood" soups or the like. I try to assume they're not shark
meat with a little added flavoring.

I love lobster coral, not that I've had it for many years, and am
very disappointed to be told I've been missing scallop coral.
Jerry Friedman
Peter Moylan
2016-03-05 07:18:06 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall -- which doesn't sound much
different from your "potato cake".
You could be right. The potato cakes have a bigger diameter, and I think
they're thinner than a fishy scallop, but it could be from the shape anyway.
Post by Garrett Wollman
I believe the "scalloped potatoes" of the original poster's question
come from the design/architectural sense of "scallop", which is a
repeating pattern of half-circles, often overlapping in one
direction. An image search for "scallop pattern" makes it plain, and
you can easily imagine forming that pattern from thin crosswise slices
of potato.
But surely that pattern was named after the shell of a scallop.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Richard Bollard
2016-03-17 01:42:12 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall -- which doesn't sound much
different from your "potato cake".
That is my take on it. The shape is roughly like a scallop shell.
Post by Garrett Wollman
I believe the "scalloped potatoes" of the original poster's question
come from the design/architectural sense of "scallop", which is a
repeating pattern of half-circles, often overlapping in one
direction. An image search for "scallop pattern" makes it plain, and
you can easily imagine forming that pattern from thin crosswise slices
of potato.
-GAWollman
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
Tony Cooper
2016-03-17 01:50:06 UTC
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 12:42:12 +1100, Richard Bollard
Post by Richard Bollard
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall -- which doesn't sound much
different from your "potato cake".
That is my take on it. The shape is roughly like a scallop shell.
My wife bought some scallops earlier this month for a dish she was
preparing. I photographed one of the shells:

Great meal, too.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Richard Bollard
2016-03-23 03:10:44 UTC
Post by Richard Bollard
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall -- which doesn't sound much
different from your "potato cake".
That is my take on it. The shape is roughly like a scallop shell.
My wife bought some scallops earlier this month for a dish she was
https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-QCHG6Lv/0/X3/2015-03-10-2-X3.jpg
Great meal, too.
Wot, no Venus?
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
RH Draney
2016-03-23 08:04:33 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
My wife bought some scallops earlier this month for a dish she was
https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-QCHG6Lv/0/X3/2015-03-10-2-X3.jpg
Great meal, too.
Wot, no Venus?
Some years ago my mother, who had developed a liking for scallops (don't
care for them myself; I don't like to eat anything that eats through its
butt), asked me what they looked like when they weren't all broiled and
bacon-wrapped...I suggested the Shell Oil logo as a visual aid....r
Peter Moylan
2016-03-23 09:25:36 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
My wife bought some scallops earlier this month for a dish she was
https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-QCHG6Lv/0/X3/2015-03-10-2-X3.jpg
Great meal, too.
Wot, no Venus?
There used to be an Italian restaurant just down the street from where I
was living at the time. (Merewether, Newcastle.) The owner commissioned
a full-scale copy of Botticelli's "Venus on the Half Shell", but with
Venus replaced by Gough Whitlam, a politician who probably made more
drastic reforms than any other Australian Prime Minister. The painting
stayed on the wall for as long as the restaurant lasted, and was a
popular local attraction.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2016-03-17 11:43:55 UTC
Post by Richard Bollard
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
In NSW fish and chip shops "scallops" are what are called "potato cakes"
elsewhere: a flat circle (approximately) of potato covered in batter and
fried. I imagine, without really knowing, that they got this name
because of the scalloped edges. These days they don't bother to do
anything about the edges.
You sure it's not just because it's shaped like a scallop (the part
people eat)? Scallops are just about the most nondescript mollusc I
can think of that's commonly eaten, just a white roundish blob of
muscle slightly wider than it is tall -- which doesn't sound much
different from your "potato cake".
That is my take on it. The shape is roughly like a scallop shell.
This says:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop#As_food

Scallops {the sea creatures} have lent their name to the culinary
term "scalloped", which originally referred to seafood creamed and
served hot in the shell. Today, it means a creamed casserole dish
such as scalloped potatoes, which contains no seafood at all. In
Australia and New Zealand, potato scallop often refers to a deep
fried battered potato slice sold at fish and chip shops.

So there seem to be two distinct categories "scalloped potatoes" and
"potato scallops".

Potato cakes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_cake#Scallops

Scallops

In Australia and England deep fried potato cakes are commonly sold
in fish and chip shops and takeaway food shops. The terminology used
in Australia differs from state to state. In New South Wales,
Queensland, and the ACT they are usually referred to as "potato
scallops", or simply as "scallops" (to avoid confusion, scallops
eaten as seafood may be known as "sea scallops"[citation needed]).
In Tasmania and Victoria, the term "potato cakes" is used, while in
South Australia and Western Australia "potato fritter" is most
common.
Post by Richard Bollard
Post by Garrett Wollman
I believe the "scalloped potatoes" of the original poster's question
come from the design/architectural sense of "scallop", which is a
repeating pattern of half-circles, often overlapping in one
direction. An image search for "scallop pattern" makes it plain, and
you can easily imagine forming that pattern from thin crosswise slices
of potato.
-GAWollman
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Peter Moylan
2016-03-17 12:20:59 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_cake#Scallops
Scallops
In Australia and England deep fried potato cakes are commonly sold
in fish and chip shops and takeaway food shops. The terminology used
in Australia differs from state to state. In New South Wales,
Queensland, and the ACT they are usually referred to as "potato
scallops", or simply as "scallops" (to avoid confusion, scallops
eaten as seafood may be known as "sea scallops"[citation needed]).
Not quite correct. In NSW the shellfish are called "Tasmanian scallops".

During my recent trip through Tasmania I had a scallop pie. Delicious.
I've never seen those elsewhere in the country.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Richard Bollard
2016-03-23 03:12:28 UTC
Post by Richard Bollard
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Moylan
[...]
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
Peter Moylan
2016-03-23 03:47:12 UTC
charles
2016-03-23 04:34:20 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Slightly related story: When I was in Tasmania last month I heard many
complaints about what the supermarkets -- or, I suppose, the domination
by the big supermarket chains of the food industry -- have done to food
distribution. Food produced in Tasmania goes to warehouses in Sydney,
about 1600 km away by road. Then it is sent back to Tasmania for sale.
Prawns caught in Scotland are sent to Thailand to be peeled and then back
to Scotland to be sold!
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Richard Bollard
2016-03-24 02:35:35 UTC
On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 14:47:12 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Slightly related story: When I was in Tasmania last month I heard many
complaints about what the supermarkets -- or, I suppose, the domination
by the big supermarket chains of the food industry -- have done to food
distribution. Food produced in Tasmania goes to warehouses in Sydney,
about 1600 km away by road. Then it is sent back to Tasmania for sale.
That means that Tasmanian products are more expensive, and less fresh,
than the same products in Sydney.
Happens to all places but most noticeable in primary producing areas
that get subjected to logistics interference.

Near Albury Wodonga are signs referring to "Logic Centre". This turns
out to be a big distribution hub that Woollies had great hopes for. It
seems to be where all the produce is sent before it gets distributed
back to where it came from and anywhere else.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
David Kleinecke
2016-03-24 04:40:44 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
[...]
Back then all the grade A and grade B artichokes got sent off to the
big city and all us locals ever ate were grade C or grade D. At least
we sorted them locally and never had any shipped back.
Peter Moylan
2016-03-24 10:36:24 UTC
Post by Richard Bollard
Near Albury Wodonga are signs referring to "Logic Centre". This turns
out to be a big distribution hub that Woollies had great hopes for. It
seems to be where all the produce is sent before it gets distributed
back to where it came from and anywhere else.
Thanks for that information. I was recently visiting my uncle in
Wangaratta and thinking that that might be a pleasant place to move to.
With my background in microprocessors, software, and logic design, I had
considered sending my CV to that logic centre.

It's sad, in a way. For some years I've been impressed that a hi-tech
industry had set up outside a small town like Wodonga. One more illusion
shattered.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Richard Bollard
2016-03-29 22:22:53 UTC
On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 21:36:24 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
Near Albury Wodonga are signs referring to "Logic Centre". This turns
out to be a big distribution hub that Woollies had great hopes for. It
seems to be where all the produce is sent before it gets distributed
back to where it came from and anywhere else.
Thanks for that information. I was recently visiting my uncle in
Wangaratta and thinking that that might be a pleasant place to move to.
With my background in microprocessors, software, and logic design, I had
considered sending my CV to that logic centre.
It's sad, in a way. For some years I've been impressed that a hi-tech
industry had set up outside a small town like Wodonga. One more illusion
shattered.
I was similarly confused and last time, I remembered to Google it.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
Charles Bishop
2016-03-25 05:14:15 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
[...]
This is much like the Fed-Ex procedures. All(?) packages are sent to a
sorting and distribution warehouse in Atlanta(?) before being sent to
their destination. They do this even if the package is being sent from a
house to a house in the same city.

However, with perishable items there might be a difference. Though we
Californians get our winter from partially from Chile.
charles
Tak To
2016-03-25 15:29:25 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
[...]
FedEx's air hub is in Memphis; UPS's is in Louisville.
Post by Charles Bishop
However, with perishable items there might be a difference. Though we
Californians get our winter from partially from Chile.
Many mail order companies build their distribution centers
near the Louisville airport. I read a magazine article
about a (fresh) lobster mail order company that ships live
lobsters from Maine to a Louisville warehouse by truck
in water tanks, lets them rest for a couple of days, then
boxes them up with cold-packs for shipment. It turns out
that the lobsters lose a lot of weight after the trucking
trip and need the resting period to restore their health.
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2016-03-30 12:26:52 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
[...]
"Logic Centre" seems to be a mistaken shortening of "Logistics Centre".

"Logistics" in this sense is of military origin.

OED:

With pl. and sing. concord. The organization of supplies, stores,
quarters, etc., necessary for the support of troop movements,
expeditions, etc.

Etymology: < French logistique, < loge-r to quarter, lodge n., or
logis logis n.: see -istic suffix.

Today "logistics" is often used synonymously with "transport".

The word is used in the names of some transport businesses.

Vos Logistics (in The Netherlands)
http://www.voslogistics.com/

HAVI Logistics (in Germany)
http://havi-logistics.com/EU/Content/index.asp

Some other companies with "logistics" in their names are in this list:
http://www.logisticslist.com/uk-logistics-companies.html

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/logistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistics
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Garrett Wollman
2016-03-30 15:52:42 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Today "logistics" is often used synonymously with "transport".
My experience is different. "Logistics" is generally used to refer to
the whole constellation of warehousing, transportation, and inventory
management that support modern supply chains. A logistics firm offers
not only transportation of goods, but also the management services to
make sure that the right quantities of goods are warehoused in the
right locations to be delivered as and when needed. Indeed, they
might not actually do the transportation at all -- they could hold
real-time auctions among independent carriers to find the best one.

Amazon is basically a logistics company.[1] (Bezos understood this
from the beginning -- he wasn't in it to destroy bookstores, he just
saw an industry with a highly inefficient legacy supply chain and
figured out how to eliminate those inefficiencies -- and then leverage
the warehousing and delivery services to do the same to a dozen other
retail businesses.)

-GAWollman

[1] Well, logistics and finance. Amazon Web Services, which makes
most of Amazon's profit, is a finance company, more specifically a
computer-leasing and real-estate business.
Tak To
2016-03-31 19:10:59 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Today "logistics" is often used synonymously with "transport".
My experience is different. "Logistics" is generally used to refer to
the whole constellation of warehousing, transportation, and inventory
management that support modern supply chains. A logistics firm offers
not only transportation of goods, but also the management services to
make sure that the right quantities of goods are warehoused in the
right locations to be delivered as and when needed. Indeed, they
might not actually do the transportation at all -- they could hold
real-time auctions among independent carriers to find the best one.
To me, logistics simply mean making arrangements and executing
them. It entails different things when applied to different
areas. One can talk about "a firm that handles the logistics
of X" but "a logistic firm" per se is somewhat vacuous.

In the mail order business for example, order processing,
transaction handling, fulfillment, delivery etc are different
areas of work, each has its own logistical concerns but can be
bundled in various combinations. Back-order can be part of
order processing or fulfillment, or both. Order tracking is
often made distinct from delivery tracking. Etc.
Post by Garrett Wollman
Amazon is basically a logistics company.[1] (Bezos understood this
from the beginning -- he wasn't in it to destroy bookstores, he just
saw an industry with a highly inefficient legacy supply chain and
figured out how to eliminate those inefficiencies -- and then leverage
the warehousing and delivery services to do the same to a dozen other
retail businesses.)
He might not be the first one who figured out how to
eliminate the efficiencies, but he was surely the first one
who was able to convince other investors to throw money
(and a lot of it) at his plan. Actual profitability is still
hard to determine. It is also not clear if Bezos foresaw his
business would turn out to be extremely "long tail" (best sellers
accounts for very little in overall sales) in nature.

Nonetheless, it surprised me that so few publishers have followed
suit to offer direct mail order, let alone setting up websites
with features like content preview or user rating/comments.
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Robert Bannister
2016-03-31 23:02:56 UTC
Post by Tak To
He might not be the first one who figured out how to
eliminate the efficiencies, but he was surely the first one
who was able to convince other investors to throw money
(and a lot of it) at his plan. Actual profitability is still
hard to determine. It is also not clear if Bezos foresaw his
business would turn out to be extremely "long tail" (best sellers
accounts for very little in overall sales) in nature.
Nonetheless, it surprised me that so few publishers have followed
suit to offer direct mail order, let alone setting up websites
with features like content preview or user rating/comments.
It's that last bit that is missing at most other sites. I mainly buy
from The Book Depository because they are cheaper than Amazon, but
Amazon is where I go to find out what I want to buy or whether I really
want to buy a book I've heard of.

It's a strange deficiency. I imagine the CD/DVD market is just as
cut-throat as books, and yet all the large number of people trying to
sell me DVDs give me at very least a synopsis of each production.
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
Garrett Wollman
2016-04-01 00:40:46 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
It's a strange deficiency. I imagine the CD/DVD market is just as
cut-throat as books, and yet all the large number of people trying to
sell me DVDs give me at very least a synopsis of each production.
The CD and DVD markets have basically ceased to function, so I'm
surprised that there are a large number of people trying to sell them
to you.

I would not be surprised to hear that the sizes of the CD and vinyl
markets had crossed again.

-GAWollman
Richard Tobin
2016-04-01 09:14:54 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
The CD and DVD markets have basically ceased to function, so I'm
surprised that there are a large number of people trying to sell them
to you.
I would not be surprised to hear that the sizes of the CD and vinyl
markets had crossed again.
Very unlikely. The latest figures I can find for the UK are
for the first half of 2015: 21.38 million CD sales and 833,137
vinyl (remarkably precise).

-- Richard
Robert Bannister
2016-04-02 00:34:26 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Robert Bannister
It's a strange deficiency. I imagine the CD/DVD market is just as
cut-throat as books, and yet all the large number of people trying to
sell me DVDs give me at very least a synopsis of each production.
The CD and DVD markets have basically ceased to function, so I'm
surprised that there are a large number of people trying to sell them
to you.
The video rental shops have nearly all closed true, but I can't see the
others going soon. They are, to my mind, still the cheapest, legal way
of buying movies in a form that I can rewatch whenever I want. I threw
CDs in out of ignorance because I just don't know whether they're still
sold. I play music and don't particularly want to listen to it.
Mike Barnes
2016-03-31 19:31:42 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Today "logistics" is often used synonymously with "transport".
My experience is different. "Logistics" is generally used to refer to
the whole constellation of warehousing, transportation, and inventory
management that support modern supply chains. A logistics firm offers
not only transportation of goods, but also the management services to
make sure that the right quantities of goods are warehoused in the
right locations to be delivered as and when needed. Indeed, they
might not actually do the transportation at all -- they could hold
real-time auctions among independent carriers to find the best one.
Here in the UK, I get the impression that "logistics" is a word bandied
about by transport firms with ideas above their station. And firms
seriously into self-aggrandisement bill their basic transportation
services as "logistics solutions".
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
James Hogg
2016-04-01 05:16:10 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Today "logistics" is often used synonymously with "transport".
My experience is different. "Logistics" is generally used to refer to
the whole constellation of warehousing, transportation, and inventory
management that support modern supply chains. A logistics firm offers
not only transportation of goods, but also the management services to
make sure that the right quantities of goods are warehoused in the
right locations to be delivered as and when needed. Indeed, they
might not actually do the transportation at all -- they could hold
real-time auctions among independent carriers to find the best one.
Here in the UK, I get the impression that "logistics" is a word bandied
about by transport firms with ideas above their station. And firms
seriously into self-aggrandisement bill their basic transportation
services as "logistics solutions".
Then there's the t-shirt company that advertises:
Bespoke upper torso coverage solutions
James
Mike Barnes
2016-04-01 08:02:14 UTC
Post by James Hogg
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
[...]
Yes, they can be amusing as well. The one that sticks in my mind is
Oakley's "Nuclear Protection". Its impact was helped by the fact that
when I first saw it I'd never heard of Oakley and had no idea what line
of business they were in.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2016-04-01 15:33:38 UTC
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:31:42 +0100, Mike Barnes
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Today "logistics" is often used synonymously with "transport".
My experience is different. "Logistics" is generally used to refer to
the whole constellation of warehousing, transportation, and inventory
management that support modern supply chains. A logistics firm offers
not only transportation of goods, but also the management services to
make sure that the right quantities of goods are warehoused in the
right locations to be delivered as and when needed. Indeed, they
might not actually do the transportation at all -- they could hold
real-time auctions among independent carriers to find the best one.
Here in the UK, I get the impression that "logistics" is a word bandied
about by transport firms with ideas above their station. And firms
seriously into self-aggrandisement bill their basic transportation
services as "logistics solutions".
WMB Logistics offers, among other services:

http://www.wmblogistics.co.uk/temperature-controlled-logistics/

Temperature Controlled Logistics

Our fleet of refrigerated trailers can move anything from chilled
meats to frozen chips.

Also:

Ambient Transport

At WMB Logistics, we have a large fleet of curtain sided trailers.
On a regular basis we move a huge variety of ambient goods up and
down the country for a wide spectrum of customers. Whether it’s
condiments or building materials, WMB will offer a transport
solution for you.

I assume that "ambient goods" are items that can be transported at
ambient temperature; they do not need to be in a controlled temperature
environment.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2016-04-04 12:03:18 UTC
Post by Mike Barnes
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Today "logistics" is often used synonymously with "transport".
My experience is different. "Logistics" is generally used to refer to
the whole constellation of warehousing, transportation, and inventory
management that support modern supply chains. A logistics firm offers
not only transportation of goods, but also the management services to
make sure that the right quantities of goods are warehoused in the
right locations to be delivered as and when needed. Indeed, they
might not actually do the transportation at all -- they could hold
real-time auctions among independent carriers to find the best one.
Here in the UK, I get the impression that "logistics" is a word bandied
about by transport firms with ideas above their station. And firms
seriously into self-aggrandisement bill their basic transportation
services as "logistics solutions".
A UK-based "logistics" company is currently in the news because of
"illegal bribery" of customers.

The company is Braid Logistics. It seems to be largely a transport
business:
http://www.braidco.com/uk/en.aspx

Established in 1955, Braid is a diversified global logistics group
specialising in innovative freight solutions and niche market
logistics worldwide. In bulk liquid logistics, Braid operates
Flexitanks of its own proprietary design and construction and offers
a dedicated fleet of food grade ISO Tanks, Braid being the
recognised market leader in both bulk modes. Other services
encompass forwarding, project shipping and transport and
warehousing.

"Freight fowarding" seems to be organising the sending of goods by sea,
air or rail other than in its own transport.

There are also Braid divisions in Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa, North
America and Latin America.
http://www.braidco.com/uk/en/global-profile/

About the bribery:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35955233

A Glasgow logistics group has agreed to pay more than £2m after it
uncovered illegal bribery operations in its own organisation.

The Braid Group found it had won contracts which breached the
Bribery Act.

The individual employees who paid the bribes did so without the
knowledge of their employer. However, the law says:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/23/crossheading/failure-of-commercial-organisations-to-prevent-bribery

7
(1) A relevant commercial organisation (“C”) is guilty of an offence
under this section if a person (“A”) associated with C bribes
another person intending—

(a) to obtain or retain business for C, or

(b) to obtain or retain an advantage in the conduct of business
for C.

(2) But it is a defence for C to prove that C had in place adequate
procedures designed to prevent persons associated with C from
undertaking such conduct.

The court presumably found that Braid Group did not have adequate
procedures to prevent bribery.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Peter T. Daniels
2016-04-04 13:14:31 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
"Freight fowarding" seems to be organising the sending of goods by sea,
air or rail other than in its own transport.
Freight forwarding is the business my uncle was in from ca. 1944 (he was
drafted into the Army's supply services -- logistics) until his retirement
ca. 1980 (having moved his company's offices to the world Trade Center,
though not on a high floor).

Freight forwarders take care of the paperwork involved in shipping goods
from country to country, including dealing with Customs. They don't own
the ships, but make the connections between the manufacturers, the shipping
lines, and the delivery points.

Richard Bollard
2016-04-04 04:05:10 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Richard Bollard
[...]
Maybe a mistake originally but it seems deliberate and Totally
Official now.

http://www.logicwodonga.com.au/
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
Garrett Wollman
2016-03-23 04:43:13 UTC
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.

-GAWollman
bill van
2016-03-23 07:41:17 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
Bay scallops are tiny, not much bigger than the eraser on the end of a
pencil. Sea scallops are well over an inch in diameter, far tastier than
bay scallops, and far more expensive.
bill
Robert Bannister
2016-03-23 23:25:58 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
Bay scallops are tiny, not much bigger than the eraser on the end of a
pencil. Sea scallops are well over an inch in diameter, far tastier than
bay scallops, and far more expensive.
If they're that small, how do you know they're not cockles? Actually, I
rather like cockles.
bill van
2016-03-24 06:49:16 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by bill van
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
Bay scallops are tiny, not much bigger than the eraser on the end of a
pencil. Sea scallops are well over an inch in diameter, far tastier than
bay scallops, and far more expensive.
If they're that small, how do you know they're not cockles? Actually, I
rather like cockles.
Cockles are little clams. I have dug them out of tidal beach sand
myself, and fried them in bacon fat the next morning. With eggs, bacon
and toast, they make a terrific breakfast when you're staying in a
beach-side cabin.

The meat is usually yellow and has a characteristic clam shape, the same
shape as oysters but smaller.

Scallops have white meat shaped liked a marshmallow. I've bought both
bay and sea scallops at quality seafood stores. I found the differences
between them to be as described above.
bill
Tak To
2016-03-25 08:21:11 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by bill van
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
Bay scallops are tiny, not much bigger than the eraser on the end of a
pencil. Sea scallops are well over an inch in diameter, far tastier than
bay scallops, and far more expensive.
I finally found a picture that compares the sizes of sea scallops
and bay scallops.

Post by Robert Bannister
If they're that small, how do you know they're not cockles? Actually, I
rather like cockles.
Well, there is the shape of the shell. A scallop shell has a very
distinct shape that looks like a fan on a stand. Cockles are
rounder and generally thicker in proportion. (There are many kinds
of cockles and I am sure I have not seen them all.)

Also, scallops are typically shelled and cleaned before they are
sold. We eat only the adductor muscle, which has the distinctive
cylindrical shape and white in color. Cockles are generally sold
with their shells. In general, dead bivalves spoil very quickly
and many people (including me) are reluctant to buy shelled
cockles, clams, oysters, mussels, etc.
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Tak To
2016-03-23 18:08:57 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
Bay scallops are tiny, not much bigger than the eraser on the end of a
pencil. Sea scallops are well over an inch in diameter, far tastier than
bay scallops, and far more expensive.
This does not sound like fresh bay scallops from Massachusetts.
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Tak To
2016-03-23 08:19:30 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
What a pity! Massachusetts is a major scallop producer and
New Bedford is the scallop capital of the US.

Bay scallops are about 1/3 the size of sea scallops, cheaper,
but -- according to many -- sweeter. Sea scallops, however,
are more popular because of the larger size.

Their habitats are different too: bay scallops in shallow
water and sea scallops on the ocean floor. Bay scallops are
found mainly around Cape Cod while sea scallop fisheries
are more wide spread. Far more sea scallops are harvest
each year than bay scallops.
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Charles Bishop
2016-03-23 15:49:05 UTC
Post by Tak To
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
What a pity! Massachusetts is a major scallop producer and
New Bedford is the scallop capital of the US.
A woman is enjoying her first vacation in Boston. While taking a cab
ride, she asks the driver "Where can I get scallops?" The driver says
"Are you sure you're in the right joke?"
Post by Tak To
Bay scallops are about 1/3 the size of sea scallops, cheaper,
but -- according to many -- sweeter. Sea scallops, however,
are more popular because of the larger size.
Their habitats are different too: bay scallops in shallow
water and sea scallops on the ocean floor. Bay scallops are
found mainly around Cape Cod while sea scallop fisheries
are more wide spread. Far more sea scallops are harvest
each year than bay scallops.
"harvested"
charles
Peter Moylan
2016-03-24 10:37:39 UTC
Post by Charles Bishop
A woman is enjoying her first vacation in Boston. While taking a cab
ride, she asks the driver "Where can I get scallops?" The driver says
"Are you sure you're in the right joke?"
<like>
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Jerry Friedman
2016-03-24 15:03:29 UTC
Post by Charles Bishop
Post by Tak To
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Richard Bollard
I haven't seen "seas scallops" no maybe their citation is needed for a
reason. They are often called "Tasmanian scallops" no matter where
they come from. Tassie was where the best ones came from.
Here we have "sea scallops" and "bay scallops". I don't eat molluscs
so I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
What a pity! Massachusetts is a major scallop producer and
New Bedford is the scallop capital of the US.
A woman is enjoying her first vacation in Boston. While taking a cab
ride, she asks the driver "Where can I get scallops?" The driver says
"Are you sure you're in the right joke?"
:-)
--
Jerry Friedman
"No Trump" bridge-themed political shirts: cafepress.com/jerrysdesigns
Bumper stickers ditto: cafepress/jerrysstickers
Mark Brader
2016-03-23 15:26:00 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop#As_food
Scallops {the sea creatures} have lent their name to the culinary
term "scalloped", which originally referred to seafood creamed and
served hot in the shell. Today, it means a creamed casserole dish
such as scalloped potatoes, which contains no seafood at all. In
Australia and New Zealand, potato scallop often refers to a deep
fried battered potato slice sold at fish and chip shops.
So there seem to be two distinct categories "scalloped potatoes" and
"potato scallops".
And this week, scalloped potatoes turned up on last night's "Jeopardy!".
In the category "Hot Potato", for $1,600:

A MOLLUSK IS IN THE NAME OF THIS DISH,
SLICED POTATOES LAYERED WITH A CREAMY SAUCE

It was answered correctly on the first try.

By the way, while searching back for Peter's posting to post this in
response to, I was bemused to find hits on the word "potato", in the
intervening 6 days, in 5 different contexts in 3 other threads:

"confusing the word for the thing"
- discussion of potato scones and potato cakes
- mention of ketchup-flavored potato chips
- a signature quote from "The Simpsons"

"XKCD and diacritics"
- discussion of tools for peeling potatoes

"Weather Report"
- a signature quote from the "Discworld" series

I guess it's true what they say about this newsgroup.
--
Mark Brader | "That would be correct, if it was correct." --Mark Brader
Toronto | "It's amazing how often that's said about my statements."