Literary Bulletin
Django Cat
2008-04-27 09:54:10 UTC
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit of a
scamp that Raskolnikov.
DC
John Dean
2008-04-27 12:24:19 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit of a
scamp that Raskolnikov.
DC
Time to move on to the Brothers Karamazov. They be some wack dudes.
--
John Dean
Oxford
Chuck Riggs
2008-04-28 11:39:47 UTC
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:24:19 +0100, "John Dean"
Post by John Dean
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit of a
scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Post by John Dean
Time to move on to the Brothers Karamazov. They be some wack dudes.
At first I figured your "wack" was a typo for "wacko", an AmE term,
but the COD10 implies it is a familiar form of address in BrE,
especially in Liverpool. Do anyone know it's origin? Would a person be
wacky if he addressed someone in Britain he didn't know well in this
manner?
--
Regards,

Chuck Riggs
Near Dublin, Ireland
the Omrud
2008-04-28 12:02:16 UTC
Post by John Dean
Time to move on to the Brothers Karamazov. They be some wack dudes.
At first I figured your "wack" was a typo for "wacko", an AmE term,
but the COD10 implies it is a familiar form of address in BrE,
especially in Liverpool. Do anyone know it's origin? Would a person be
wacky if he addressed someone in Britain he didn't know well in this
manner?
I don't see connection between the Scouse "wack", which just means
"mate", and "wack" meaning "crazy". OED shows these as two separate
entries.
David
Django Cat
2008-04-29 09:27:24 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chuck Riggs
At first I figured your "wack" was a typo for "wacko", an AmE term,
but the COD10 implies it is a familiar form of address in BrE,
especially in Liverpool. Do anyone know it's origin? Would a person
be wacky if he addressed someone in Britain he didn't know well in
this manner?
I don't see connection between the Scouse "wack", which just means
"mate", and "wack" meaning "crazy". OED shows these as two separate
entries.
I'm just turning over the idea of an adaptation of 'Crime and
Punishment' set in Liverpool:

"Are youse startin' Arkady Ivanovich Svidrigailov? You mess with our
kid Avdotya Romanovna Raskolnikova again or upset me mam Pulkheria
Alexandrovna Raskolnikova and I'll deck ya, jes like I did that nesh
get Pyotr Petrovich Luzhin an' I don' care if ya call Porfiry
Petrovich, Nikodim Fomich, Ilya Petrovich, Alexander Grigorievich
Zametov and the rest o' them bizzies".

I bow to rrs' superior knowledge of Scouse, but I think that'd work
very well.

DC

LFS
2008-04-29 09:46:19 UTC
Post by Django Cat
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chuck Riggs
[...]
The actress from East Enders with the long curly hair who buried someone
in the cellar has recently updated a Chekhov play and set it in
Liverpool, I think.

<Googles "east enders actress chekhov" and finds:
http://www.northwestmag.co.uk/profiles-a-class-act--27246>

But it doesn't sound as if it has the same sort of ring to it as your
version...
--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2008-04-29 12:03:46 UTC
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:46:19 +0100, LFS
<***@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

<things>

Laura, I see you've ended your experiment with "Laz" as a
netname.

This is a pity. I had just devised a business you could lend
that name to.

The business name would be based on an allegedly true story
involving two Jews, a dead, very dead, man called Lazarus, and
the man who resurrected him, Jesus of Nazareth.

The company?

Laz 'R Us

"Bringing your company
back to life."

OK, so it's a Christian story but business is business, innit?
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2008-04-29 13:48:22 UTC
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:03:46 +0100, "Peter Duncanson (BrE)"
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:46:19 +0100, LFS
<things>
Laura, I see you've ended your experiment with "Laz" as a
netname.
This is a pity. I had just devised a business you could lend
that name to.
The business name would be based on an allegedly true story
involving two Jews, a dead, very dead, man called Lazarus, and
the man who resurrected him, Jesus of Nazareth.
The company?
Laz 'R Us
"Bringing your company
back to life."
OK, so it's a Christian story but business is business, innit?
I must remember to check first. The name has already been used.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
John Dean
2008-04-29 13:43:22 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Django Cat
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chuck Riggs
[...]
It doesn't even have the same Ringo
--
John Dean
Oxford
R H Draney
2008-04-29 16:05:51 UTC
Post by LFS
The actress from East Enders with the long curly hair who buried someone
in the cellar has recently updated a Chekhov play and set it in
Liverpool, I think.
Did she, like Donizetti before her, set any scenes in the mountains just outside
the city?...r
What good is being an executive if you never get to execute anyone?
John Dean
2008-04-28 12:56:07 UTC
Post by John Dean
Time to move on to the Brothers Karamazov. They be some wack dudes.
At first I figured your "wack" was a typo for "wacko", an AmE term,
but the COD10 implies it is a familiar form of address in BrE,
especially in Liverpool. Do anyone know it's origin? Would a person be
wacky if he addressed someone in Britain he didn't know well in this
manner?
http://www.rapdict.org/Wack

In the Pool it was originally 'wacker' but is often abbreviated to 'wack'.
It's used in Madchester too. No-one knows whence it comes.
Earliest OED cite is "1768 T. Boulton Sailor's Farewell iii. 32, I was told
for certain, that th' king o' th' blacks had as many wenches as would stond
i' th' cumpus of seven acres of graund; and, if it be true, he must be a
wacker, e'cod!"
--
John Dean
Oxford
Django Cat
2008-04-29 10:07:01 UTC
Post by John Dean
Time to move on to the Brothers Karamazov. They be some wack dudes.
At first I figured your "wack" was a typo for "wacko", an AmE term,
but the COD10 implies it is a familiar form of address in BrE,
especially in Liverpool. Do anyone know it's origin? Would a person
be wacky if he addressed someone in Britain he didn't know well in
this manner?
http://www.rapdict.org/Wack
In the Pool it was originally 'wacker' but is often abbreviated to
'wack'. It's used in Madchester too. No-one knows whence it comes.
Earliest OED cite is "1768 T. Boulton Sailor's Farewell iii. 32, I
was told for certain, that th' king o' th' blacks had as many wenches
as would stond i' th' cumpus of seven acres of graund; and, if it be
true, he must be a wacker, e'cod!"
I seem to recall 'Wack' was a cartoon strip about a ne'r-do-well
scouser in The Sun at one point. (Not to mention the faintly naughty
'Bear by Posy', the Posy in question being Posy Simmonds, later the
epitome of everything Guardian and *not* Sun...).

However, despite 18 years in the NW, I've never yet head 'wack' in the
wild.

DC

Django Cat
2008-04-29 11:52:36 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly. Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
DC
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2008-04-29 12:10:08 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly. Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
Chuck "Charles"; he prefers "Chuck".
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Django Cat
2008-04-29 13:57:37 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly. Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
Chuck "Charles"; he prefers "Chuck".
Check; cheers, I'll cheerfully choose to chuck Chas.

Chuck Riggs
2008-04-30 09:03:00 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly. Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
Chuck "Charles"; he prefers "Chuck".
Check; cheers, I'll cheerfully choose to chuck Chas.
AOL!
--
Regards,

Chuck Riggs
Near Dublin, Ireland
Chuck Riggs
2008-04-30 08:58:55 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly. Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
Thank you, Peter.
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Chuck "Charles"; he prefers "Chuck".
And thank You, for that. I could say, as Big George used to, "You can
call me anything, as long as you don't call me late for lunch," but
since I'm fighting this name battle where I live in, for all intents
and purposes, Chuckless Ireland, I hope the battle will be a mere
skirmish, here in multinational AUE.
--
Regards,

Chuck Riggs
Near Dublin, Ireland
Nick Spalding
2008-04-30 10:00:22 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Chuck "Charles"; he prefers "Chuck".
And thank You, for that. I could say, as Big George used to, "You can
call me anything, as long as you don't call me late for lunch," but
since I'm fighting this name battle where I live in, for all intents
and purposes, Chuckless Ireland, I hope the battle will be a mere
skirmish, here in multinational AUE.
You are right about Chuckless Ireland. All the Charles's I know are
either Charles or Charlie.
--
Nick Spalding
BrE/IrE
Richard Bollard
2008-05-02 00:25:55 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Chuck "Charles"; he prefers "Chuck".
And thank You, for that. I could say, as Big George used to, "You can
call me anything, as long as you don't call me late for lunch," but
since I'm fighting this name battle where I live in, for all intents
and purposes, Chuckless Ireland, I hope the battle will be a mere
skirmish, here in multinational AUE.
You are right about Chuckless Ireland. All the Charles's I know are
either Charles or Charlie.
It's as if the Irish conform to some sort of Chuckless drill.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2008-04-30 10:31:44 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly. Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
Thank you, Peter.
I'll readdress your thanks to Django Cat who sent the greeting
above.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Chuck Riggs
2008-05-01 09:45:15 UTC
Post by Django Cat
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'. A rollicking good read. Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly. Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
Thank you, Peter.
I'll readdress your thanks to Django Cat who sent the greeting
above.
Mea Culpa. So, thank you, Django Cat, but please call me Chuck; I
never have known quite what to call you.
--
Regards,

Chuck Riggs
Near Dublin, Ireland
Django Cat
2008-05-01 16:31:07 UTC
Post by Chuck Riggs
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:24:19 +0100, "John Dean"
I finished 'Crime and Punishment'.  A rollicking good read.  Bit
of a >> scamp that Raskolnikov.
Wonderful novel. Shouldn't there be a comma after "scamp"?
Almost certainly.  Nice to see you back amongst us, Charles.
Thank you, Peter.
I'll readdress your thanks toDjangoCatwho sent the greeting
above.
Mea Culpa. So, thank you,DjangoCat, but please call me Chuck; I
never have known quite what to call you.
Call me a cab...

I'll answer to most things, DC is fine.

DC
TsuiDF
2008-05-01 16:39:03 UTC
Post by Django Cat
Call me a cab...
I'll answer to most things, DC is fine.
When I was a teenager my mother worked as a volunteer for a small
local library endeavouring to get up on its feet. Part of this work
entailed gathering unwanted books from estate sales and seeing if
there was anything the library could use in the haul. Going through
one such collection she same across a 'Siamese-English' phrasebook
dating from the early 1900s and thought it would be an amusing
stocking stuffer for her linguistically curious teenage daughter.

On Christmas morning she was a bit surprised by the volume of laughter
echoing from my room -- due to my having skimmed the dialogues in the
phrasebook and almost immediately found that a couple of them ended
with the immortal line, 'Call me a tricycle'. When she stuck her head
round the door and asked what was so funny, I was crying from laughter
and couldn't actually repeat the line for some time. I finally passed
her the book and it had the same effect on her too. Given the very
colonial tone of the tome, one could well imagine the rather worse-for-
wear Colonel Somebody-or-Other coming out with this phrase and the
obvious reply from a doorman in rather better shape. 'Very well sir
-- ....'

cheers,
Stephanie
in Brussels

but you can call me TsuiDF (no, actually, that's probably hard to say)