Future tense of "smite"?
Jon Danniken
2005-03-15 20:43:41 UTC
I can't for the life of me figure out the future tense of smite. I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form would it
take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited" (as in, "will be
smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference to that anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Jon
Martin Ambuhl
2005-03-15 21:15:48 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I can't for the life of me figure out the future tense of smite.
Future: "I will smite you"
Post by Jon Danniken
I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form would it
take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited" (as in, "will be
smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
That is not the simple future.
Future, Passive voice
"You will be smitten."
Future perfet
"I will have smitten you."

Why should you assume that the "-en" form, normal in perfect and passive
constructions, should change to something else?
John Dean
2005-03-16 00:09:49 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form
would it take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited"
(as in, "will be smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference
to that anywhere.
That is not the simple future.
Future, Passive voice
"You will be smitten."
Future perfet
"I will have smitten you."
Why should you assume that the "-en" form, normal in perfect and
passive constructions, should change to something else?
Indeed. Oughta watched "Friends" whence the line "You are *so* the
smitten kitten"
--
John "Prolly in Buffy too" Dean
Oxford
Jon Danniken
2005-03-16 02:22:53 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form would it
take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited" (as in, "will be
smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
That is not the simple future.
Future, Passive voice
"You will be smitten."
Future perfet
"I will have smitten you."
Why should you assume that the "-en" form, normal in perfect and passive
constructions, should change to something else?
Can I plead insanity? :)

Jon
Lars Eighner
2005-03-15 21:55:07 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I can't for the life of me figure out the future tense of smite.
Since English doesn't have a real future tense, simply stick
"will," "shall," "going to," or some such in front of the
present: "will smite." So far as I know, that will work for any
verb.
Post by Jon Danniken
I realize that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten,
but what form would it take in a future tense? I assumed it
would be "smited" (as in, "will be smited"), but I can't find
an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
Now you are talking about the passive voice. Start by asking
yourself what the present passive is. It is "(be) smitten."
Yes, that is usually used in connection with love or
infatuation, and indeed, this is the only sense and construction
of "smite" that has much currency. That is why you did not
think of the answer right away. "Smite" in the active voice,
meaning more or less "strike down," has not been common recently
and is only encountered in Biblical discussions, Elizabethan
literature, and jocular attempts at such language.

If the present passive is "(be) smitten," then according to the
formula given above, "will be smitten" should be the future
tense of passive "smite," and indeed, it is.
--
Lars Eighner ***@io.com http://www.io.com/~eighner/
War on Terrorism: History a Mystery
world's.... Bush would rather look forward than backward." --_Newsweek_
Jon Danniken
2005-03-16 02:21:33 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I realize that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten,
but what form would it take in a future tense? I assumed it
would be "smited" (as in, "will be smited"), but I can't find
an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
Now you are talking about the passive voice. Start by asking
yourself what the present passive is. It is "(be) smitten."
Yes, that is usually used in connection with love or
infatuation, and indeed, this is the only sense and construction
of "smite" that has much currency. That is why you did not
think of the answer right away. "Smite" in the active voice,
meaning more or less "strike down," has not been common recently
and is only encountered in Biblical discussions, Elizabethan
literature, and jocular attempts at such language.
Thanks, Lars, that is exactly why my mind was stumbling on the "will be
smitten" part.
Jon
CV
2005-03-16 14:35:17 UTC
Post by Lars Eighner
Since English doesn't have a real future tense, simply stick
"will," "shall," "going to," or some such in front of the
present: "will smite."
Infinitive, surely, not present.

(or else the third person would have to be "smites".
"He will smites"...)
CV
Don A. Gilmore
2005-03-15 22:12:44 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I can't for the life of me figure out the future tense of smite. I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form would it
take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited" (as in, "will be
smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
Any suggestions appreciated,
"The lesson is: Our God is vengeful! O spiteful one, show me who to smite
and they shall be smoten!" --Homer Simpson
Don Phillipson
2005-03-15 21:13:17 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I can't for the life of me figure out the future tense of smite. I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form would it
take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited" (as in, "will be
smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
Future tense (active voice): will smite
Future tense (passive voice): will be smitten
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Frances Kemmish
The past tense, of course, is smut.
Jon Danniken

Jon
Steve Hayes
2005-03-16 09:04:26 UTC
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:43:41 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
Post by Jon Danniken
I can't for the life of me figure out the future tense of smite. I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form would it
take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited" (as in, "will be
smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
Any suggestions appreciated,
The future tense of smite is smite.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
don groves
2005-03-16 22:33:57 UTC
Post by Jon Danniken
I can't for the life of me figure out the future tense of smite. I realize
that it is an irregular verb, smite, smote, smitten, but what form would it
take in a future tense? I assumed it would be "smited" (as in, "will be
smited"), but I can't find an appropriate reference to that anywhere.
Any suggestions appreciated,
The future tense of smite is smite.
Yes, as in someone's (Tom Lehrer's?) Harvard football cheers:
Instead of "Hit 'em again, harder!" it's "Smite them again more
fiercely than you smote them previously!"
dg (domain=ccwebster)
Steve Hayes
Steve Hayes
Martin Ambuhl
I now have seven copies of this. Can't you put an end to it?
Steve Hayes
2005-03-17 00:10:48 UTC
Direct all complaints to ***@mindspring.com