What's the diff between ... and what's Worse?
B***@37.com
2019-02-24 03:15:25 UTC
What's the difference between distended stomach and belly Fat?
B***@37.com
2019-02-24 05:33:26 UTC
belly overhang?
David Kleinecke
2019-02-24 06:00:03 UTC
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
Peter T. Daniels
2019-02-24 14:00:11 UTC
But cars don't have spare tires any more, just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-02-24 14:07:13 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
But cars don't have spare tires any more,
Our car, now seven years old, has a spare tyre.
athel
John Varela
2019-02-24 18:20:08 UTC
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 14:07:13 UTC, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
My car (an Infiniti M) has a donut but my wife's (a Subaru Forester)
has a real spare tire with a real wheel. My previous car (also an
Infiniti) and hers (also a Forester) were the same.
John Varela
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-02-24 18:28:59 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
My car (an Infiniti M) has a donut but my wife's (a Subaru Forester)
has a real spare tire with a real wheel. My previous car (also an
Infiniti) and hers (also a Forester) were the same.
Our spare tyre (with wheel) was stolen a few years ago. When we had it
replaced the man in the service centre said that it was no longer a
legal requirement in France to have one, but most cars did. A good
thing too, because a couple of years later our car hit the side of a
roundabout in Nîmes rather violently and punctured a tyre. Without the
spare tyre we'd still be in Nîmes today -- I exaggerate, but it would
have been a pain in the neck.
athel
John Varela
2019-02-24 19:10:22 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
My car (an Infiniti M) has a donut but my wife's (a Subaru Forester)
has a real spare tire with a real wheel. My previous car (also an
Infiniti) and hers (also a Forester) were the same.
Our spare tyre (with wheel) was stolen a few years ago. When we had it
replaced the man in the service centre said that it was no longer a
legal requirement in France to have one, but most cars did. A good
thing too, because a couple of years later our car hit the side of a
roundabout in Nîmes rather violently and punctured a tyre. Without the
spare tyre we'd still be in Nîmes today -- I exaggerate, but it would
have been a pain in the neck.>
Not quite two years ago we were in California for a grandchild's
college graduation and afterward made a road trip from LA to San
Francisco, visiting a couple of National Parks on the way. I had
rented a hybrid Ford (the model was an Escape or something like
that).

When we visited a college friend in Berkeley he turned out to have a
hybrid Ford almost identical to our rental. He said he loved
everything about his car except that it didn't have a spare tire. I
looked in mine and sure enough, the space where I would have
expected to find a spare was full of batteries. In lieu of a spare
there was a kit to inject some kind of goo into a flat tire to seal
a puncture. Probably that works for a nail, but not for any more
substantial damage.

We had driven that car to and from Yosemite, where there are no
service stations and, on the road in, you can be 15 miles from
anyplace down in a mountain valley with no cell phone coverage.
John Varela
Ken Blake
2019-02-24 23:22:14 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
A few years ago we were driving home from Canyonlands National Park in
Utah, and were in the northeast corner of Arizona on the Navajo
reservation when I had a blowout. I had a spare tire, but at my age, I
no longer had the strength or ability to change it. To make matters
worse, it was well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 Celsius).

I had a cell phone, but there was no signal where we were. Despite my
age and the temperature, I was about to try change the tire, and
possibly kill myself, because I had no alternative. But a car then
came down a side road, and the driver, a young Navajo man, stopped and
asked me what was wrong. I told him and he said he had an errand to
run, but he would be back in 10-15 minutes and change it for me.

He was, and he did. I took out my wallet to give him something to
thank him for saving my life, but he refused to take it. I practically
had to force him, but he eventually took it.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-02-25 08:23:27 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
That's more or less what happened to us when we punctured a tyre in
Nîmes. I was completely at a loss as to what to do, but my daughter,
who is more down to earth than I am, said we needed to phone the
insurance company, which she did. While waiting for the service man to
arrive a man (not a Navajo -- there aren't a lot of Navajos in Nîmes)
stopped and asked if he could help, so we explained the problem to him
and he changed the wheel for us. He also refused any payment. We then
phoned the insurance company to say that the problem was solved.
athel
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 14:30:49 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
I have a telescoping 'old ladies wrench' for just such an occasion.
When extended to its full lenghth of about 60 cm
and with my weight behind it it gives enough torque
to convince even the most stubborn wheel bolts to move.

Jan
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 14:41:33 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
I have one of those +-shape wheel lug wrenches in the trunk of each
care. Each is 30 or 40 years-old and have been transferred from
car-to-car.

The most stubborn lug will succumb to a foot stomped on the
right-angle arm.

Unused for many years, though. The last flat I remember having was in
a rental car.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Ken Blake
2019-03-02 15:59:55 UTC
On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 09:41:33 -0500, Tony Cooper
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
I have very little difficulty with the wrench and bolts. My main
problems are squatting down by the wheel, lifting and carrying the
wheels, and fitting the new wheel to the car (and in that case,
dealing with the heat).
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 16:22:02 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
Obsolete American technology?
My modern European car has wheel bolts instead of nuts,
a small inner rim on the hub on which the wheel can rest,
and a pin that screws temporarily into one of the bolt holes
that supports the wheel and keeps it in place. [1]
So all you have to do is turn in the bolts
in a wheel that takes no force to hold it in the right position,
with the holes automatically aligned,

Jan

[1] It is called a 'wielhanger', (E. 'wheelhanger') and looks like this
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 16:43:01 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
American? What do you think Ken drives? An Edsel?

He hasn't stated what he drives, but chances are very good that it's a
result of European or Asian technology even if assembled in the US.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Ken Blake
Good guess. A Toyota Camry.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-03-02 17:49:57 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
[...]
That has become a problem for me. I now have to let my wife put the
casseroles away. Squatting down is OK; getting up afterwards isn't. A
couple of months ago I decided to soak in the bath instead of taking a
shower. That was OK, but when the time came to get out I couldn't. My
wife couldn't do it by herself either, so she had to call the concierge
to help.
athel
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 19:20:45 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
[...]
You people make me quite spry at 80, going on 81. Good thing, too. No
concierge around here.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Sam Plusnet
2019-03-02 19:55:22 UTC
Do you find also that stairs are getting to be a problem?
Our staircase is somehow irrigated with water from the river Lethe.
Sam Plusnet
Snidely
2019-03-02 19:59:15 UTC
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
That has become a problem for me. I now have to let my wife put the
casseroles away. Squatting down is OK; getting up afterwards isn't. A couple
of months ago I decided to soak in the bath instead of taking a shower. That
was OK, but when the time came to get out I couldn't. My wife couldn't do it
by herself either, so she had to call the concierge to help.
Pro tip: if you're as bad at crunches, curl-ups, and sit-ups as I am,
slosh over to hands-and-feet a la canine, where you have some leverage.
While you're getting your breath back after the slosh, do some
cat-cows.

/dps
--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"
_Phoebe and Her Unicorn_, 2016.05.15
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-03-02 21:52:43 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
That has become a problem for me. I now have to let my wife put the
casseroles away. Squatting down is OK; getting up afterwards isn't. A couple
of months ago I decided to soak in the bath instead of taking a shower. That
was OK, but when the time came to get out I couldn't. My wife couldn't do it
by herself either, so she had to call the concierge to help.
Pro tip: if you're as bad at crunches, curl-ups, and sit-ups as I am,
slosh over to hands-and-feet a la canine, where you have some leverage.
That is what I did when I had an injured knee.
Kneeling with the hands on the sides of the bath is a good starting
position for pushing yourself into a standing position.

Obviously it requires adequate strength in the legs and arms.
Post by Snidely
While you're getting your breath back after the slosh, do some
cat-cows.
/dps
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:38 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
I have very little difficulty with the wrench and bolts. My main
problems are squatting down by the wheel,
That has become a problem for me. I now have to let my wife put the
casseroles away. Squatting down is OK; getting up afterwards isn't. A couple
of months ago I decided to soak in the bath instead of taking a shower. That
was OK, but when the time came to get out I couldn't. My wife couldn't do it
by herself either, so she had to call the concierge to help.
Do you find also that stairs are getting to be a problem?
The stair lift (stairlift ?) has been called
-THE- architectural revolution of the 21th century,

Jan
Mack A. Damia
2019-03-02 17:59:26 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
That's it. Me, too.

I got new propane gas tank installed yesterday, and I had to get the
hot water heater pilot light re-lighted. I know how to do it, but I
cannot get down that low and work. We had to call the guy who
installed the tank to comeback and re-light the pilot light. He had
only just left.

Same thing with reading labels on the bottom shelves in supermarkets.
I can't do it.
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:38 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
What is 'a pilot light' ?

Jan
Mack A. Damia
2019-03-02 21:44:34 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
A small gas burner kept continuously burning to light a larger burner
when needed, especially on a gas stove or water heater.
Snidely
2019-03-02 18:49:14 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
I have very little difficulty with the wrench and bolts. My main
problems are squatting down by the wheel, lifting and carrying the
wheels, and fitting the new wheel to the car (and in that case,
dealing with the heat).
I can still get down, but probably kneeling rather than squatting. I
gave up on trying to figure out where the jack goes.

The Bilstein from my old Bug was easy to place. ISTR that my Sienna
had a way of marking where the scissors went. The Mazda leaves me
clueless.

/dps
--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 16:05:19 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
It also has to do with nails having gone obsolete.
(but perhaps not in your part of the world)
The last non-puncture I had was by a screw embedded in the rubber.
It must have been there for thousands of kilometers,
for it was worn flush with the threads. [1]
Still a perfect seal, I just happened to see it
because the bright metal caught the light.
They could only unscrew it from the inside
with locking pliers.

uess I could have left it in place,
but why take unnecessary risks,

Jan

[1] My theory on it: A nail will work itself in, through the thread,
a screw will work itself in until flush, after which it will stay put.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2019-03-02 17:16:39 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 18:28:59 UTC, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Our spare tyre (with wheel) was stolen a few years ago. When we had it
replaced the man in the service centre said that it was no longer a
legal requirement in France to have one, but most cars did. A good
thing too, because a couple of years later our car hit the side of a
roundabout in Nīmes rather violently and punctured a tyre. Without the
spare tyre we'd still be in Nīmes today -- I exaggerate, but it would
[...]
Not in any part of the world. Even IKEA, with all its clever self-assembly
joints still employs the odd nail and I've seen no evidence that nail gun
sales have tanked. I'm really not sure why you think nails on the road
would have been greater in number in the past anyway.
Depends on the size of the head, Shirley.
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:38 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by J. J. Lodder
It also has to do with nails having gone obsolete.
(but perhaps not in your part of the world)
Not in any part of the world. Even IKEA, with all its clever self-assembly
joints still employs the odd nail and I've seen no evidence that nail gun
sales have tanked. I'm really not sure why you think nails on the road
would have been greater in number in the past anyway.
IKEA are cheapskates. They'll do anything to save a cent.
Throw away their nails, and screw instead.
You'll be happy when you have to take it apart again.
Slurge another cent, and use Torx instead of Posidriv.

In these parts of the world nail guns
are no longer allowed for construction work like fixing plasterboard.
They have been replaced by things like these
<https://www.boels.nl/assets/modules/products/schroefmachine_met_magazij
n_big_2.jpg>
Post by J. J. Lodder
The last non-puncture I had was by a screw embedded in the rubber.
It must have been there for thousands of kilometers,
for it was worn flush with the threads. [1]
Still a perfect seal, I just happened to see it
because the bright metal caught the light.
They could only unscrew it from the inside
with locking pliers.
uess I could have left it in place,
but why take unnecessary risks,
Jan
[1] My theory on it: A nail will work itself in, through the thread,
a screw will work itself in until flush, after which it will stay put.
Depends on the size of the head, Shirley.
Head? None is left after a few thousand kilometers driving on it,

Jan
RH Draney
2019-03-02 17:06:00 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
I have one of those +-shape wheel lug wrenches in the trunk of each
care. Each is 30 or 40 years-old and have been transferred from
car-to-car.
The most stubborn lug will succumb to a foot stomped on the
right-angle arm.
I took off a tire recently where I had to do just that for all four nuts....

On the other hand, I once had a lug wrench where the socket broke before
the nut ever moved....r
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:38 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by Tony Cooper
I have one of those +-shape wheel lug wrenches in the trunk of each
care. Each is 30 or 40 years-old and have been transferred from
car-to-car.
The most stubborn lug will succumb to a foot stomped on the
right-angle arm.
I took off a tire recently where I had to do just that for all four nuts....
On the other hand, I once had a lug wrench where the socket broke before
the nut ever moved....r
Sounds like British quality,

Jan

PS Just read in my newspaper that nasty Americans
tried to discredit BMW cars by saying that BMW
stands for 'British Motor Works',
poor Brit quality being notorious.

BMW tried to responded for a while
by calling themselves 'Bavaria' in the USA.
Not a good idea, so they gave up on it again.
charles
2019-03-02 21:23:10 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by RH Draney
Post by Tony Cooper
I have one of those +-shape wheel lug wrenches in the trunk of each
care. Each is 30 or 40 years-old and have been transferred from
car-to-car.
The most stubborn lug will succumb to a foot stomped on the
right-angle arm.
I took off a tire recently where I had to do just that for all four nuts....
On the other hand, I once had a lug wrench where the socket broke before
the nut ever moved....r
Sounds like British quality,
Jan
PS Just read in my newspaper that nasty Americans
tried to discredit BMW cars by saying that BMW
stands for 'British Motor Works',
poor Brit quality being notorious.
BMW tried to responded for a while
by calling themselves 'Bavaria' in the USA.
Not a good idea, so they gave up on it again.
'Bavaria' is a non-alcoholic Dutch lager.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-03-02 17:09:17 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
Yes. But you also need the strength and ability to jack up the car and
to lift and carry the two wheels.
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 17:50:09 UTC
On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 17:09:17 +0000, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
Jan will now inform us that Dutch cars have built-in jacks that lift
the car at a push of a button and the replacement wheel is delivered
by a drone.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Ken Blake
2019-03-02 18:54:10 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
I don't know about Dutch cars (are there any Dutch cars?), but
Citroens used to do that. Do they still? I don't know.
Sounds great! Where can I get one?
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 19:16:09 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
The Citroen DS had an on-board hydraulic system that raised and
lowered the body to improve airflow at speed. It was one of the best
body designs ever, in my opinion. The Jaguar XK120 and the 1941
Lincoln Continental are the other two favorites of mine. I'd also put
the 1934 Citroen Avant on my list.

Modern cars, in my opinion, are blah. Cookie-cutter design.
Ken Blake
2019-03-02 20:09:12 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
Yes. It also worked to raise the car over rocks or any junk on the
road if need be. And it would go up or down hills keeping the car
horizontal, rather than parallel to the road.

The problem with that hydraulic system was that it broke easily. And
it was very expensive to fix.
Post by Tony Cooper
It was one of the best
body designs ever, in my opinion.
It looked like a Hoover vacuum cleaner.
Post by Tony Cooper
The Jaguar XK120 and the 1941
Lincoln Continental are the other two favorites of mine.
I also liked the XK120, but not any Lincoln Continentals
Post by Tony Cooper
I'd also put
the 1934 Citroen Avant on my list.
Don't know that one at all.
Post by Tony Cooper
Modern cars, in my opinion, are blah. Cookie-cutter design.
I saw a McClaren last week, parked in front of a restaurant I was
eating in. That was anything but a cookie-cutter design.
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 20:40:03 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Tony Cooper
The Jaguar XK120 and the 1941
Lincoln Continental are the other two favorites of mine.
I also liked the XK120, but not any Lincoln Continentals
It's the one that spawned the fad of "Continental" spare tire mount on
later cars.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am18/amelia-island/lots/r0034-1941-lincoln-continental-cabriolet/620482

There's one owned locally that I see once in a while.
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Tony Cooper
I'd also put
the 1934 Citroen Avant on my list.
One of these around here, too. It was a taxi in France at one time
according to the current owner.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2010/09/The-Pull-of-History---1934-Citroen-Traction-Avant/3689981.html
Post by Ken Blake
Don't know that one at all.
The local one is not the Cabrio version, though.

https://dyler.com/cars/9492/citroen-traction-avant-cabrio-cabriolet-roadster-1934-white-for-sale
Ken Blake
2019-03-02 21:03:21 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Tony Cooper
The Jaguar XK120 and the 1941
Lincoln Continental are the other two favorites of mine.
I also liked the XK120, but not any Lincoln Continentals
It's the one that spawned the fad of "Continental" spare tire mount on
later cars.
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am18/amelia-island/lots/r0034-1941-lincoln-continental-cabriolet/620482
Not my cup of tea, but we all have different tastes.
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Tony Cooper
I'd also put
the 1934 Citroen Avant on my list.
One of these around here, too. It was a taxi in France at one time
according to the current owner.
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2010/09/The-Pull-of-History---1934-Citroen-Traction-Avant/3689981.html
Not my cup of tea, either. If you want to talk about cars of around
that vintage, here's one I like:

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1045305/1929-pierce-arrow-automobile-for-sale-in-chattanooga-tennessee-37416
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:49:55 UTC
Ken Blake <***@invalid.news.com> wrote:
[snip, and excessive whitespace reduced]
Post by Tony Cooper
I'd also put
the 1934 Citroen Avant on my list.
Don't know that one at all.
It is better known as the 'Traction Avant'
Andre Citroen went bankrupt designing it, [1]
but his chief engineer made a succes of it after his death.
It is the forerunner of almost all modern cars.

You can't see WWII movies set in France,
or Maigret-style detective series without lots of 'Tractions' in them,
just because so many of them survive,

Jan

[1] The Citroen family (without the trema) were Dutch immigrants
who settled in Paris.
The trema, making him Citroën, was added by his high school teacher
to make the Citroen name pronouncable for the French.
(two syllables in Dutch, thereafter three in French)
Lanarcam
2019-03-02 22:04:37 UTC
How did I know he would say that? ...
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-03-02 22:59:55 UTC
Post by Lanarcam
Post by J. J. Lodder
[1] The Citroen family (without the trema) were Dutch immigrants
who settled in Paris.
How did I know he would say that? ...
<smile>
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:39 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Ken Blake
I don't know about Dutch cars (are there any Dutch cars?), but
Citroens used to do that. Do they still? I don't know.
The Citroen DS had an on-board hydraulic system that raised and
lowered the body to improve airflow at speed.
This how wheels can be changed

Post by Tony Cooper
It was one of the best body designs ever, in my opinion.
It was the best getaway car ever for bank robbers.
In the 'up' position it could take even bumpy forest roads
at incredible speeds.
It also saved De Gaulle's life
against a professional military murder attempt,
because it could drive at full speed
on solid rubber tyres that could not be shot to pieces,

Jan
Mack A. Damia
2019-03-02 21:43:10 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
http://youtu.be/KSabTiFpIzY
Post by Tony Cooper
It was one of the best body designs ever, in my opinion.
It was the best getaway car ever for bank robbers.
In the 'up' position it could take even bumpy forest roads
at incredible speeds.
It also saved De Gaulle's life
against a professional military murder attempt,
because it could drive at full speed
on solid rubber tyres that could not be shot to pieces,
"The Day of the Jackal" (1973) directed by Fred Zinnemann

The film opens up with that attempt on De Gaulle's life.

One of the greats.
Mack A. Damia
2019-03-02 23:52:28 UTC
On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 13:43:10 -0800, Mack A. Damia
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Tony Cooper
It was one of the best body designs ever, in my opinion.
It was the best getaway car ever for bank robbers.
In the 'up' position it could take even bumpy forest roads
at incredible speeds.
It also saved De Gaulle's life
against a professional military murder attempt,
because it could drive at full speed
on solid rubber tyres that could not be shot to pieces,
"The Day of the Jackal" (1973) directed by Fred Zinnemann
The film opens up with that attempt on De Gaulle's life.
One of the greats.
Here is that opening scene that shows all of the French ministers
traveling in Citroens and the attempt on De Gaulle's life:

Also, our minister drove one in the 1960s. I think it was the only
one in the county.
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:39 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
Yes, they are known as the Mini Hatch, Mini Clubman, and Mini Cabrio,
while it lasts.
OTOH, if Brexit is the succes that Brexiteers hope for
the Oxford Mini factory will probably close down,
and production of the other Mini models may become Dutch too.
BMW will tell.

The most notable Dutch contribution to automotive design
is the Variomatic drive.
The DAFs that embodied it are history,
but the Variomatic is still a succes story.
The drives are still manufactured in the Netherlands,
and also under licence in many parts of the world,
for a great many munufacturers,

Jan
Tony Cooper
2019-03-03 00:14:15 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
The Dutch can't turn out very many automobiles a year. There's a
shortage of qualified wood carvers to make the brake shoes.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:39 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
FYI, your knees are jerking again.
Yes, I know, It is a reflex,
but you can try to control it,

Jan
Ken Blake
2019-03-02 18:48:27 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
Post by John Varela
[...]
That depends on the jack. If I remember correctly, mine does it with a
rotary motion, and that's easy.
Yes! That's the hard part for me.
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:00:39 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by Ken Blake
A few years ago we were driving home from Canyonlands National Park in
Utah, and were in the northeast corner of Arizona on the Navajo
reservation when I had a blowout. I had a spare tire, but at my age, I
no longer had the strength or ability to change it. To make matters
worse, it was well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 Celsius).
I have a telescoping 'old ladies wrench' for just such an occasion.
When extended to its full lenghth of about 60 cm
and with my weight behind it it gives enough torque
to convince even the most stubborn wheel bolts to move.
Yes. But you also need the strength and ability to jack up the car and
to lift and carry the two wheels.
Not the French way. Jacking up is by cranking a handle.
The spare wheel hangs under the car from a steel cable
that is winched in, also by cranking a handle.
It doesn't have to be lifted.

Gearing reduces the force that is needed greatly.
(but of course the Joules to be supplied remain te same)

Jan
Sam Plusnet
2019-03-02 20:01:56 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
I have a telescoping 'old ladies wrench' for just such an occasion.
When extended to its full lenghth of about 60 cm
and with my weight behind it it gives enough torque
to convince even the most stubborn wheel bolts to move.
Not just old ladies.
I don't know what torque settings garages use when tightening wheel
studs, but it's a lot more than the specified figure.
Sam Plusnet
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 21:49:55 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by J. J. Lodder
I have a telescoping 'old ladies wrench' for just such an occasion.
When extended to its full lenghth of about 60 cm
and with my weight behind it it gives enough torque
to convince even the most stubborn wheel bolts to move.
Not just old ladies.
I don't know what torque settings garages use when tightening wheel
studs, but it's a lot more than the specified figure.
Get a better garage.
Recommmende settings are in the 100 Nm range,
well within range of even elderly human muscle power. [1]

The problem is that the loosening torque is much larger,
after a year of settling.
Applying some grease to the threads beforehand helps a lot,

Jan

[1] have been told by someone in the know that the precise torque
isn't all that critical.
What matters is that all bolts are tightened equally,
to prevent warping of the discs.
Tyre shops have one torque setting for all.
Paul Carmichael
2019-03-02 17:12:58 UTC
Post by John Varela
Not quite two years ago we were in California for a grandchild's
college graduation and afterward made a road trip from LA to San
Francisco, visiting a couple of National Parks on the way.
How refreshing to see that "of" in an American sentence.

Shame about the "afterward" though.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2019-03-02 17:21:30 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by John Varela
Not quite two years ago we were in California for a grandchild's
college graduation and afterward made a road trip from LA to San
Francisco, visiting a couple of National Parks on the way.
How refreshing to see that "of" in an American sentence.
Shame about the "afterward" though.
What's wrong with 'afterward'? I use it all the time and its been part
of BrE continuously since the 14thC. Nitpicking is all very well but this
is a nit which exists only in your imagination.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-03-02 17:58:24 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by John Varela
Not quite two years ago we were in California for a grandchild's
college graduation and afterward made a road trip from LA to San
Francisco, visiting a couple of National Parks on the way.
How refreshing to see that "of" in an American sentence.
Shame about the "afterward" though.
What's wrong with 'afterward'? I use it all the time and its been part
of BrE continuously since the 14thC.
What's that got to do with it? We know longer write the way Chaucer
did. You can do what you please, but most British English speakers use
"afterwards". (We'll see if anyone agrees with you.)
athel
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2019-03-02 20:22:20 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by John Varela
Not quite two years ago we were in California for a grandchild's
college graduation and afterward made a road trip from LA to San
Francisco, visiting a couple of National Parks on the way.
How refreshing to see that "of" in an American sentence.
Shame about the "afterward" though.
What's wrong with 'afterward'? I use it all the time and its been part
of BrE continuously since the 14thC.
What's that got to do with it? We know longer write the way Chaucer
did. You can do what you please, but most British English speakers use
"afterwards". (We'll see if anyone agrees with you.)
Which part of 'continuously' are you having problems with? The last OED
reference is dated 2009. Chaucer doesn't come into it.
Peter T. Daniels
2019-03-02 22:56:25 UTC
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
What's that got to do with it? We know longer write the way Chaucer
did. You can do what you please, but most British English speakers use
"afterwards". (We'll see if anyone agrees with you.)
Oh! Is _that_ the complaint! I delete that otiose s at every opportunity.
(toward, forward, backward, etc.)
Sam Plusnet
2019-02-24 18:52:30 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
 just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
Our spare wheel is pretty much the same was that affixed to each corner
of the car - except for the lack of tread wear.

I use the car to tow and towing whilst a space saver wheel is fitted is
contraindicated by the car manufacturer.
Doing so would thus violate the Construction and Use regulations.

I haven't previously heard "doughnut" in this context, but I lead a
sheltered life.
Sam Plusnet
Peter T. Daniels
2019-02-24 19:39:40 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
 just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
Our spare wheel is pretty much the same was that affixed to each corner
of the car - except for the lack of tread wear.
I use the car to tow and towing whilst a space saver wheel is fitted is
contraindicated by the car manufacturer.
Doing so would thus violate the Construction and Use regulations.
I haven't previously heard "doughnut" in this context, but I lead a
sheltered life.
It's whet the AAA guy called it when he replaced my flat tire with it so
that I could drive the few blocks to the tire place where my tire would
be repaired and remounted. (The tire place may have become a victim of
gentrification.) Sure beats being towed.

You're not supposed to have the donut (he probably spelled it that way
mentally) on the car for more than 50 miles.
Sam Plusnet
2019-02-24 23:26:42 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
 just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
Our spare wheel is pretty much the same was that affixed to each corner
of the car - except for the lack of tread wear.
I use the car to tow and towing whilst a space saver wheel is fitted is
contraindicated by the car manufacturer.
Doing so would thus violate the Construction and Use regulations.
I haven't previously heard "doughnut" in this context, but I lead a
sheltered life.
It's whet the AAA guy called it when he replaced my flat tire with it so
that I could drive the few blocks to the tire place where my tire would
be repaired and remounted. (The tire place may have become a victim of
gentrification.) Sure beats being towed.
You're not supposed to have the donut (he probably spelled it that way
mentally) on the car for more than 50 miles.
I do understand the reason for limiting speed to 50mph with a space
saver, but I don't see the reason for that 50 mile limit.
I doubt if the tread will wear quite that quickly.

However, there are stories of people who get a flat tyre, put the space
saver on and drive with that in place for months or years - probably
until it gets picked up on the next MOT (annual car safety check,
mandatory on all UK cars of 3 years or older).
Sam Plusnet
Peter T. Daniels
2019-02-25 04:40:52 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
I haven't seen it in years (it lives in a well under the trunk floor),
but I don't think it has much, if any, tread on it to start with.
Shame on them.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-02-25 08:31:37 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
Shame on whom? And why? Here we have mandatory checks every two years
after the car is five years old. They're less strict than they were in
the UK. For example, my recollection is that in the UK the check cannot
be made by the same garage that services the car (something like that,
anyway), but here there is no such rule. About 20 years ago our car
passed the test, a short while before we were going to sell it, and it
was only when I started sliding all over the place during heavy rain
around Florence that I realized that the tyres would never have passed
a British test.
athel
Peter Young
2019-02-25 09:05:44 UTC
On 25 Feb 2019 Athel Cornish-Bowden <***@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

<Annual car tests>
Here we have mandatory checks every two years after the car is five years
old. They're less strict than they were in the UK. For example, my
recollection is that in the UK the check cannot be made by the same garage
that services the car (something like that, anyway), but here there is no
such rule.
Nor here. I have always had my MOT test done at the same place as the
service, and every two years (the service interval) at the same time.

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Au)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-02-25 09:29:39 UTC
Post by Peter Young
<Annual car tests>
Here we have mandatory checks every two years after the car is five years
old. They're less strict than they were in the UK. For example, my
recollection is that in the UK the check cannot be made by the same garage
that services the car (something like that, anyway), but here there is no
such rule.
Nor here.
OK, so my recollection (from more than 30 years ago) was inaccurate.
athel
charles
2019-02-25 11:54:36 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
Nothing like that. I get my test done at the main dealer who both sold me
the car and does the servicing. Not all garages have the equipment needed
to carry out the teat.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Cheryl
2019-02-25 12:40:19 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
Our mandatory checks were eliminated quite some years ago - there's been
at least one fatal accident attributed to an unsafe car.

Of course, before they were eliminated, there were periodic cases of
garage owners being charged in court for providing certificates for a
fee without actually examining or fixing the vehicle. Maybe nothing much
changes, since some of those vehicles were probably in accidents too.
Cheryl
Sam Plusnet
2019-02-25 21:51:48 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
In the UK, the range of items covered by the MOT test have gradually
increased over the years, and the limits imposed have become more strict
(on exhaust emissions for example).
Sam Plusnet
Paul Carmichael
2019-03-02 17:19:49 UTC
Post by charles
Nothing like that. I get my test done at the main dealer who both sold me
the car and does the servicing. Not all garages have the equipment needed
to carry out the teat.
Brings grease nipples to mind.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Peter T. Daniels
2019-02-25 12:57:33 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Sam Plusnet
However, there are stories of people who get a flat tyre, put the
space> saver on and drive with that in place for months or years -
probably> until it gets picked up on the next MOT (annual car safety
check,> mandatory on all UK cars of 3 years or older).
Shame on them.
Shame on whom?
People who drive on donuts instead of tires.
a British test.
Peter Moylan
2019-02-24 23:14:53 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Our spare wheel is pretty much the same was that affixed to each
corner of the car - except for the lack of tread wear.
I use the car to tow and towing whilst a space saver wheel is fitted
is contraindicated by the car manufacturer. Doing so would thus
violate the Construction and Use regulations.
I haven't previously heard "doughnut" in this context, but I lead a
sheltered life.
I've heard of it, but not with that meaning. Apparently young drivers do
doughnuts when they spin the car in a tight circle without overturning it.
--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
soup
2019-02-24 14:52:23 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
But cars don't have spare tires any more, just "donuts." Not inappropriate.
Mine does. Not a space saver, not an inflation kit, an actual spare
tire mounted on a wheel.

67 plate (2017), Yaris hybrid
John Varela
2019-02-24 17:49:06 UTC
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 06:00:03 UTC, David Kleinecke
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
I recently saw a woman on Facebook calling that a "muffin top".
(She advises high-rise jeans to all her freinds.)

I think bozo is asking about a beer belly.
John Varela
Peter Young
2019-02-24 20:51:31 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
I recently saw a woman on Facebook calling that a "muffin top".
(She advises high-rise jeans to all her freinds.)
I think bozo is asking about a beer belly.
"Think" and Bozo" in the same sentence?

Peter T. Daniels
2019-02-24 21:05:42 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by John Varela
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 06:00:03 UTC, David Kleinecke
[a query]
Better than "think" and "Trump."
John Varela
2019-02-25 20:35:28 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
I recently saw a woman on Facebook calling that a "muffin top".
(She advises high-rise jeans to all her freinds.)
I think bozo is asking about a beer belly.
"Think" and Bozo" in the same sentence?
I didn't say /he/ was thinking.
John Varela
Brian Austin
2019-02-26 02:07:04 UTC
Somewhere (I think it was in 'Gordo', a comic strip from the 1960s) I
saw the condition referred to as 'Dunlop's Disease': because 'your
stomach done lops over your belt'.

- Brian
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
I recently saw a woman on Facebook calling that a "muffin top".
(She advises high-rise jeans to all her freinds.)
I think bozo is asking about a beer belly.
---
https://www.avg.com
John Varela
2019-02-27 00:12:39 UTC
Post by Brian Austin
Somewhere (I think it was in 'Gordo', a comic strip from the 1960s) I
saw the condition referred to as 'Dunlop's Disease': because 'your
stomach done lops over your belt'.
It goes back a little further than the sixties. All the way back to
1917. I was reading Gordo in the 40s.
John Varela
CDB
2019-02-24 18:18:34 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
Unless he means "panniculus", the little apron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panniculus
John Varela
2019-02-24 18:46:37 UTC
Post by CDB
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
Unless he means "panniculus", the little apron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panniculus
Don't bother with Wikipedia. Google it and then look at the photos.
Incredible, yet morbidly fascinating.
John Varela
Katy Jennison
2019-02-24 20:52:52 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by CDB
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
Unless he means "panniculus", the little apron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panniculus
Don't bother with Wikipedia. Google it and then look at the photos.
Incredible, yet morbidly fascinating.
I did. Good grief. But just this morning I passed someone who was
clearly afflicted with this phenomenon. Next time I'll have a name for it.
Katy Jennison
Quinn C
2019-02-25 23:11:35 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by CDB
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
Unless he means "panniculus", the little apron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panniculus
Don't bother with Wikipedia. Google it and then look at the photos.
Incredible, yet morbidly fascinating.
Liable to cause panic.
--
Learning the rules that govern intelligible speech is an
inculcation into normalized language, where the price of not
-- Judith Butler
Mack A. Damia
2019-02-26 02:36:25 UTC
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 22:00:03 -0800 (PST), David Kleinecke
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by B***@37.com
belly overhang?
We used to call the "spare tire".
Nasty kids.

We had a gym teacher with a bit of a paunch, and we called him "The
Tire".

We also had a girl in our class who did not shave her underarms and
who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".

These names had a valuable purpose, though. They brought much needed
comic relief to many of our classes.

World Culture class:

Teacher: "Who was the winged female with living venomous snakes in
place of hair?"

Voice from the back: "The Pit!"

(And poor Barbara never realized we were laughing at her)
Anders D. Nygaard
2019-02-26 18:53:26 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
We also had a girl in our class who did not shave her underarms
I see no reason why she should.
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.

/Anders, Denmark.
Mack A. Damia
2019-02-26 21:31:23 UTC
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
We also had a girl in our class who did not shave her underarms
I see no reason why she should.
This was in the 1960s. Times were different. Most women/girls shaved
their underarms. It was the "fashion" in that time and in that place.
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-02-27 08:10:47 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
athel
Lewis
2019-02-27 13:46:05 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
Conservatives have always tended toward fascism.
--
The Drum jealously guarded its reputation as the most stylishly
disreputable tavern in Ankh-Morpork and the big troll that now guarded
out what he did to the failures. Perhaps he ate them. --Sourcery
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
The human race has always tended toward fascism.
Paul Carmichael
2019-03-02 17:27:22 UTC
Post by Lewis
Conservatives have always tended toward fascism.
When did the communists change their name to "conservatives"?
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Lewis
2019-03-02 18:47:31 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Lewis
Conservatives have always tended toward fascism.
When did the communists change their name to "conservatives"?
On the far wing nut ends, both are pretty much identical. It's just that
the conservatives have always skated closer to their wingnut fringe.

(well, always in my lifetime at least. I hear Teddy Roosevelt was a
Republican, but he would not be considered one today or even one 40
years ago.)
Satan oscillate my metallic sonatas
Mack A. Damia
2019-02-27 15:21:47 UTC
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 09:10:47 +0100, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
This was "Wyomissing". Google it for more information.

The population was about 5,000 when we moved there in 1957.

My friend reminded me recently that there were cheers in our high
school when the principal announced over the PA system on November 22,
1963 that JFK had been assassinated.

A few of the wealthy German-American industrialists who lived in the
borough were being watched by the FBI during World War II.

The place was a fascist hotbed.
J. J. Lodder
2019-02-27 22:21:48 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
Weren't they in the thirties?

Jan
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-03-02 14:43:13 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
Weren't they in the thirties?
Yes, but I doubt whether Mack A. Damia is old enough to remember the
1930s. When I was growing up it was difficult to see much difference
between the Republicans and the Democrats other than the fact that the
Democrats went along with segregation in the South.

As the joke goes,

"What's the difference between the Republican Party and the Democratic Party?"

"It's really quite simple: the Republican Party corresponds roughly to
the British Conservative Party, and the Democratic Party corresponds
athel
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 15:09:00 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
Weren't they in the thirties?
Yes, but I doubt whether Mack A. Damia is old enough to remember the
1930s. When I was growing up it was difficult to see much difference
between the Republicans and the Democrats other than the fact that the
Democrats went along with segregation in the South.
Dunno about the 30s, but in the late 1940s the Democrats in the South
who opposed segregation or any extension of civil rights were called
the "Dixicrats". The most notable was Sen Strom Thurmond of South
Carolina.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Mack A. Damia
2019-03-02 16:47:38 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
The German-American Bund was active in that area and had a significant
presence during the 1930s. They openly criticized FDR and the
Democrats. There was a training camp not too far away in
Sellersville, PA.

Ferdinand Thun and Henry Jansen, German immigrants, were wealthy
industrialists who founded the borough of Wyomissing. Janssen
stressed his generally favorable view of Hitler’s Germany, and they
both tried to improve the Reich’s image in America. They both met
with Hitler several times:

In March 1934, Alice Oberlaender (one of the partners) spoke to a
Wyomissing women’s organization about one such trip, noting that she
was “favorably impressed by the developments in Germany under the
Hitler regime.”

https://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.org/entry.php?rec=56#_edn45

[“Unionists Hit Trips to Reich,” Reading Eagle, August 7, 1935, 1, 18;
Stefan Heym, Nazis in U.S.A. (New York: American Committee for
Anti-Nazi Literature, 1939), 24–25; Philip Jenkins, Hoods and Shirts:
The Extreme Right in Pennsylvania, 1925–1950 (Chapel Hill: University
of North Carolina Press, 1997), 56, 144.]

The Bund held rallies with Nazi insignia and procedures such as the
Hitler salute and attacked the administration of President Franklin D.
Roosevelt, Jewish-American groups, Communism, "Moscow-directed" trade
unions and American boycotts of German goods.

The Bund's leader, German-born American citizen Fritz Julius Kuhn,
openly criticized President Roosevelt by repeatedly referring to him
as "Frank D. Rosenfeld", calling his New Deal the "Jew Deal", and
denouncing what he believed to be Bolshevik-Jewish American
leadership. He also supported Republican candidates for office
throughout the U.S.

Interesting photos:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/06/american-nazis-in-the-1930sthe-german-american-bund/529185/
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-03-02 17:54:00 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
Those sort of rallies could be found in England as well at the time.
They liked to hold them in the part of London where a lot of Jews lived.
athel
J. J. Lodder
2019-03-02 17:55:01 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
Weren't they in the thirties?
Yes, but I doubt whether Mack A. Damia is old enough to remember the
1930s.
I'm not old enough either, but there is no lack of sources.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
When I was growing up it was difficult to see much difference
between the Republicans and the Democrats other than the fact that the
Democrats went along with segregation in the South.
Both were racist, like almost all Americans at the time.
The differencce was one of degree.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
As the joke goes,
"What's the difference between the Republican Party and the Democratic Party?"
"It's really quite simple: the Republican Party corresponds roughly to
the British Conservative Party, and the Democratic Party corresponds
roughly to the British Conservative Party."
That's putting it friendly.
Before WWII the right wing of both was more like Oswald Mosley's
British Union of Fascists.
Remember that Mosley was elected MP for the Conservative Party,
before he set out on his own.

Jan
Tony Cooper
2019-03-02 19:18:56 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
[...]
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
and who wore sleeveless vests, etc. She was "The Pit".
Heartless. But children are often like that.
Especially these children. Many were offspring of upper-middle class
Republicans with a fascist view of the world.
Were upper-middle class Republicans as fascist as that in the 1960s? I
thought that came later.
Weren't they in the thirties?
Yes, but I doubt whether Mack A. Damia is old enough to remember the
1930s.
I'm not old enough either, but there is no lack of sources.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
When I was growing up it was difficult to see much difference
between the Republicans and the Democrats other than the fact that the
Democrats went along with segregation in the South.
Both were racist, like almost all Americans at the time.
The differencce was one of degree.
I have to give you credit for your consistency. It rivals that of
David Duke.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Paul Carmichael
2019-03-02 17:26:19 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:53:26 +0100, "Anders D. Nygaard"
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
We also had a girl in our class who did not shave her underarms
I see no reason why she should.
This was in the 1960s. Times were different. Most women/girls shaved
their underarms. It was the "fashion" in that time and in that place.
Now even men do it.

Well, this one does. Spend a lot of the year wearing sleeveless vests when going out of an
evening.

No birds nesting under my arms.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
soup
2019-02-27 08:44:41 UTC
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
We also had a girl in our class who did not shave her underarms
I see no reason why she should.
I'm with you on the 'don't need to shave' bit.

I remember when 'Nena' was big (99 red balloons) the papers were full
(FSVO) of articles about her unshaved armpits nothing about how the song
was based on a true story, or the cold war or... but her unshaved arm
pits . The 80s were a different time.
Snidely
2019-02-25 09:08:18 UTC
Post by B***@37.com
What's the difference between distended stomach and belly Fat?
Starvation vs overeating.

/dps
--
Trust, but verify.